Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
monty3777

Renzetti presentation series

Could some of you who own and use thea vise from the presentation series chime in about how the different models compare to one another? I am looking at a 2000 ($280) and would like to know what I would be missing - in real terms - if I bought this instead of a 3000 or 4000.

I would like to use this vise semi commercially in the next year or so. Will it do?

In the three years I have owned my 2000 series I have had nothing but good things to say about it, I have wanted a Renzetti my whole life and the wife bought it for me for fathers day and it is truly the vice of my dreams. I would say that with the flies I have tied and the flies others have tied on it, we're approaching about a 1000 flies and it's still in prime condition and should last many, many more years to come, I also have a traveler from Renzetti and that too is a wonderful vice, it was given to me by a friend who bought a 2000 after tying on mine, and he ties close to 1500 flies a year for a small fly shop south of us.

Steve

It appears that the biggest difference between the 2000 and the 4000 is the material. The 2000 is made of aluminum while the 4000 is stainless steel and brass.

The 4000 is also "hand specific" thus if you are right handed you have to buy a right handed 4000.

I have a 4000 but only because i got it in Cabelas bargain cave for $270. Dunno why it was returned but i have had it for 4+ years with no problems.

If i were buying new today i would probably go with the 2000

The main difference between these vices is in the bushings and in the rotary mechanism. The 2000 and 3000 ratchet on the rotary vice, the 4000 is a smooth variation, thus when you advance the rotary on the 4000 it is not indexed.

The bushings on the lower end Renzettis are typically plastic, something like Delrin. Not really a concern, the shaft speed on a rotary vice is very low and you should never wear it out. The higher end vices tend to have actual ball bearings, although some of that may have changed in this year's lineup. Either way, this should have little or no effect on how much life you get out of the vice.

I got the 4000 when I bought mine, and I love it. If you are production tying, the ratcheting feature may be an issue, otherwise, I see no problem with the 2000 or 3000.

Good luck.

Ryan

I have a 2000 and love it,

The one main difference that the others have negelected is the fact that the jaw arm pivots like on the master,

you can see the hinge on the left of this photo

IPB Image

this makes getting hooks on axis a snap

no adjusting the head up or down by pulling a screw, just a simple lift puts it into position

I was originally very concerned about this being able to hold up to the tension, but I have spun a lot of deer hair on it and it has never slipped

it is a spectacular vise, I really view it as more of a slimmed down master than a presentation series

good luck, but strongly consider the 2000

Pauly