Fly Tying

I found these cool Mandarin Duck feathers stashed away and dreamed up this fly. Hope you'll enjoy it.

Hook: Mustad 3371 sproat 2/0

Tag: oval silver tinsel and red floss

Tail: Mandarin Duck

Body: flat silver tinsel

Ribs: oval silver tinsel

Wing: Peacock swords and Mandarin Duck

Throat: Mandarin Duck

Hackle: grey saddle

Head: black herl

:bugeyes: :bugeyes: :bugeyes:

Wow! It's crazy, wild, and I love it!!! Just one question: How in the heck did you get a square cross-section on the body? :blink:

John

I was expecting Mandarin Orange, and I get Duck :hyst:

Well executed ... were you practicing herl heads?

You must have picked up a bit of insanity thinking you would just lay down an underwing of Peacock sword!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

A note on the 'square' body. It's really not. My new scanner depicts it as such, but I assure you it is oval. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments, gents. :)

I can't believe Mike mooned us ( :butt: )... :shocking: :lol:

(just kidding...I've never had a chance to use that Smilie before and couldn't resist)

Beautiful fly Mike!!! :D

Sweet! I really like the wing. And peacock swords have to be one of my favorite materials. Even though they are a pain to tie in!

Beautiful fly, Mike. You have an eye for tasteful color and shape. I like simple flies whose beauty is in the subtleties. This fly has everything it needs and nothing it doesn't. Very well conceived and executed.

-Shawn

It's a KILLER Mike. Btw, that's not the first time your flies have come out lookin' like they have a somewhat square body.....always wanted to ask bout that.....glad to know it's just the scanner. :P Two questions: 1. don't i remember Lee posting a fly he tyed using the 3371 hook.....?????.....only his was Black.....????? i'm desperately tryin' to find that hook, and 2. am i seein' the fly right in the pic.....?????.....is there a gap between the white and black parts of the wing or not????? It appears that the background color shows through there between the white and black parts of the wing.....????.....

Great tye though, and a beautiful design. mark..... B)