Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
scott marquard

Ostrich herl head

Morning all,

I've always wondered how the Ostrich herl once tied in is snugged back up against the finished body with the fibers angled backwards unlike a standard butt. Hope I phrased that right.

Thx,

Scott

i just moisten my fingers the slightes bit, dry them off a little bit, then stroke them back softly.

What I do is after I've wrappped my butt, I just slick the fibers back with some water or saliva, and then brush them out when it's dried.

Hope this helps,

Anton

scott,

try this different method also

for practice...take an extra hook start the thread anywhere on the shank then tie in the ostrich by it's butt..take a few turns...you'll notice that the flues all point in one direction. (a smooth thread base is essential)

un wrap then wrap in the reverse direction and the flues point in a different direction..unwrap cpmpletely then "flip" the herl over and tie in again so the side that was against the hook's shank now faces upwards...repeat the process...

then unwrap and repeat the process again but tie in by the tip of the herl...a nice taper is possible when tying in by the tip , however the butt is not as strong as you'd get by tying in by the butt

Hey,

I forgot to mention, another great technique is to fold the herl-- just like a hackle-- and then tie it in by the tip. This actually works better for me than slicking it back, as I find it looks more "natural".

Anton

Yes, I used the method Anton describes on the head of the Butcher in the pic below. It is easy to make nice swept back butts and heads with this technique.

post-4194-1200415606_thumb.jpg

Sign in to follow this