Fly Tying
monty3777

Danvise?

Oatka mentioned the Danvise so I checked one out at J. Stockard page. $77 :bugeyes:

So, I wonder what the difference is between this and the more expensive Renzetti vise?

These vises don't belong to the same class, it's kind of a Saturn versus a Mercedes.

They will both get you from point A to point B, one just has more features and luxury than the other.

Here is a link to reviews of most of the popular vises :-

http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index.html

You should probably wade through all of these reviews and then if you can, go look at vises first hand.

Can we assume that you have been to this link, and read the reviews of the various vises you are considering?

http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/hwvise/index.html

If so, then you should know the difference between the Dan-vise and the Renzetti vises. Mostly in the delrin parts. There are a lot of nice features in the Dan-vise, but the delrin parts are kind of clunky looking. So far, they have been providing pretty good service, and at the price, they offer a good value. If you looking to get the best, and posibly you last vise, you need to be looking for lifetime durablility. In my mind, that means all metal parts. Your comparing a reasonably servicable vise with nearly the top of the line in the Renzetti.

You also mentioned before, that you plan on getting into comercial tying. If that is the case, then you should be looking at the most durable, longest lasting vise, stay with the Renzetti. or start looking for an HMH, or Dynaking. Or better still, a Nor-vise. This vise will speed up your tying if you learn to use it correctly. If I have to cut back to only one vise (I have 6 and use 3,) I would keep the Nor-vise and let all the others go.

I tie with a Danvise , bought it because it fit the budget (more $$ for tying materials) and have no complaints at all.....its been getting the job done for 12 yrs now. Would I like a more expensive vice ? you bet, but I figure I'll either win one in a raffle somewhere or somebody will give me one just because I'm nice. :)

Oatka mentioned the Danvise so I checked one out at J. Stockard page. $77 :bugeyes:

So, I wonder what the difference is between this and the more expensive Renzetti vise?

This Oatka guy you speak of sounds like a crack head! :devil:

I'm with flygirl. i bought mine because of price. i wanted a rotary and it was the cheapest. But, that aside, i love it. I've never tied on much else beside it and my first el-cheapo vise that came in the kit i bought. I did tie on a.....oh....what was it....... oh, it was a Peak. I liked it, sort of, but not more than the Danvise. I only tied 1 fly on it because of time.

hey, if nothing else, this crazy Oatka guy gave you the thought to keep researching....and for that, you should send him $100!!!

If the extension arm for the Danvise showed up a little earlier than it did, I would probably

still be using mine too.

As it is, I have dedicated it to tube fly tying and given it's light weight I won't hesitate to take

it on the road if ever the need arises.

You ID yourself as a beginner, so go for the Danvise. It's an outstanding value and will do everything you need it to do. You'll enjoy it. I love using mine.

Suppose you lose interest in tying flies and your money's wasted? The $80 or so you spend on the Danvise won't feel as bad as hundreds blown on a Renzetti. If you become deeply involved and very advanced and you've just gotta have a Renzetti and can afford it, then go for it.

I found my left hand bumping the arm of the Danvise, so I ordered the extension for another $20. Maybe smaller hands wouldn't need it.

fishwitz

I tied commercial on the dan vise for 2 years. I is a good vise for under 100. And Oatka is a crack head gardening tool!!

You ID yourself as a beginner,

that is based solely on number of posts on this board, If Lee Wulff were alive and logged in today he would be IDed as a bait fisherman, just like yours.

This Oatka guy you speak of sounds like a crack head! :devil:

I think day5 told me that once, too....

I have a DanVise, and I like it. The only complaint I had is that I flared a set of jaws and had to order a new set. I can only assume I cranked down too hard on the hooks... :dunno:

But if you get one and that happens to you, I know where you can order a new set - and he's fast, reliable, and from what I hear, an excellent tier - right Al? :lol:

danvise, too - and like flygirl bought it because it was not as pricey as the rest. It is as good if not better than me right now - so, until someone leaves one in my yard sale, I will keep using my danvise - or I get a rich friend that just likes to give me something.

I had a Danvise. It was a nice vise at a good price. The rotary part of the vise was in the way of my left hand when trying to hold materials. I would suspect the extension would alleviate that and would recommend that you purchase the extension with it if you go that route. True rotary vises are nice if you use them with rotary techniques. I sold my Danvise mainly because I found I just didn't use it for what it was meant for (rotary tying). If you aren't going to use the rotary vise for what it is meant for, I think there are better non rotary choices out there that would be less expensive than the other true rotary vices. HMH's and Regals (Rotate if you want). Sorry, rambling, I am just trying to add "just make sure you don't pay for a feature you may not really use."

have a look here to see what can be done on a danvise

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act...er=Bud%20Guidry

not a single bit of trouble either, from the tiniest of hooks up to 10/0 have been strap in my vise, there are better vises, much better but the vise doesn't tie the fly, it only holds the hook so the person behind it can tie the fly.

Bud