Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Monquarter

Monquart Marvel- 6/0

post-13487-1200533617_thumb.jpgI will post a few of the flies I tied in years gone by as I slowly get back into tying featherwing flies. I tied this fly in 2003 while I was living near the bank of the Monquart River.

Apologies on the photo again. They are slowly getting better. Bear with me as I learn the techniques.

While I like the colours of this particular fly, I dislike the "elephant trunk" tip. I was into that style back then. I am pleased to report that I am feeling better now!!

Anyway, there it is for your amusement.

As always, comments, critiques, suggestions are welcome!

Marc

Oh yeah, the guy who spells it with a c. Well, i won't hold that against you. :D BEAUTIFUL fly. VERY beautiful. Oh! and i won't hold that twist in the eye against you either. :P Actually i kinna like it. Somethin' different! Always cool. Can you tell me what hook that is, please? Gorgeous colors.....THE most important thing for me. Nice style and design............."all" the hackle smokes. Really cool. GREAT head. It's workin'! mark..... B)

I love the colors you have used Marc. I think that the colors through the wing are very Gotzmeresque (my highest compliment when it comes to color scheme) and the overall design is very nice. I like the black topping and tail and thing that the body with the embossed tinsel and ribbing like that is absolutely gorgeous.

Nice work!

The hook is a Heritage.

The twist in the eye was from storage since 2003- the fly was crushed a bit and imparted the twist.

The hackle is from a roller.

Thanks for the comments!

Marc

Marc,

That's a real beauty, bent eye and all. As a photo tip, avoid using a flash at all costs. If you have a tri-pod, set it up and turn the flash off. Let the camera use what ever ambient light you have to meter on. If you have aperture priority stop down (f 7-9) to get full depth of field. If that glare is not from a flash but from your light, just angle the light away to soften a bit. That will really bring out those amazing colors and subtle details these flies are riddled with.

Good on ya,

Doug

i like this fly alot marc and especially the way you incorporated the roller into an element of hackle. i've not seen roller used as hackle before and it's really nice.

nice job

Bud

:headbang: Great fly, i love the body work too!!

Sign in to follow this