Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
aaronostoj

Antique Nicholson Pictures

WOW! cool.......thankx for postin' those pics. You'll have Dave's reaction bout 4 a.m. east coast time. :D mark..... ;)

Aaron ... what are these from?? VERY Cool, thanks for posting them. :headbang: :headbang:

Carne's going to be hating on the first one in the group ... look at that hook, its an A&H!

Royce,

I rather like the round bend of the A&H. I've got a few kicking around just ITCHING to have a Nicholson tied on them :P

I wish I could say that these are part of my antique fly collection, but they are not. These were offered for sale a few years ago on Schmookler's R&U site as part of a huge collection. I have all of the plates on CD. There are over 20 specimen drawers full of mint classics. I made color copies of 21 of the drawers. I may have to bring them to a meeting sometimes and "show and tell"

They have been a wonderful source of inspiration for me!

Aaron

Thanks very much Aaron! It instantly reminded me exactly where I'd seen a batch - even before you told Royce where they were from - was sure I had some - these are the trays Smookler was selling on his site - from which I scavenged the whole set of pics which aren't bad quality and are straight face on so easier to disect (21 I think - will email if you want - is it me or are there some modern items snuck in there - the Benchill especially) - finally found a decent copyable pic of a Black Fairy too - which I have long wanted to tie - the Hardy book only containing the standard pattern rather than the full dressed version.

All the best

Dave

post-3384-1200553785_thumb.jpg

post-3384-1200553954_thumb.jpg

Dave,

You are a TRUE classic salmon fly hound! :headbang:

That is the set of pictures I have. 21 Plates of flies. Some may be "suspect" as to they're origin, but all very nice examples of classic patterns.

I didn't know if anyone even noticed these when they were up on his site. I use them as reference quite often. I'm sure you will see some similarities between my "style" and these patterns if you look at some of them. Nice long sides, low wings, and lots of ribs! Just the way I like em' :D

Aaron

I've got the other 'favourite' pattern (apart from the WI) in the vice at the mo, but I reckon I'll do the Black Fairy next - love doing JC underwings on flies.

Attached a Bill Chinn Nicholson that came from somewhere (Dusty Miller I think maybe). Also some Farlow's flies I have just to add to the mix - bit ropey condition sadly - note that the Black Doctors have hackle underwings (they did have toppings but they had broken off).

Dave

post-3384-1200559553_thumb.jpg

post-3384-1200559735_thumb.jpg

post-3384-1200559763_thumb.jpg

:D Hi Dave and Aaron: I recognize that Nicholson! Someone posted it long ago on the IFISH.NET site here on the Oregon coast. Now thats a fly.....

Keep those anitques coming Aaron and Dave...

Dave P. :)

Dave C.

I've got that Chinn Nicholson somewhere on my hard drive, I think I found it on the Washington FF site?

Since we've got one of Mr. Chinn's flies up, what the heck......a couple more couldn't hurt.

Talk about FLOW! There was nothing else like this being tied when Mr. Chinn created these!

Aaron

post-3265-1200584632_thumb.jpg

post-3265-1200584644_thumb.jpg

Very cool stuff... :headbang: :headbang:

What's your guess on the size of the nicholsons?

Maybe on the new classic site we can a forum dedicated to the vintage stuff?

Very cool stuff... :headbang: :headbang:

What's your guess on the size of the nicholsons?

Maybe on the new classic site we can a forum dedicated to the vintage stuff?

The one in Hodgson pictured at actual size is a 10/0.

Dave

Sign in to follow this