Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
QCflies

Purple Emperor

very well made fly, you did well on this beauty, i love the fullness of it and great job on the material applications involved,

Bud

Many Thanks Bud. I think this pattern is a beauty. When I saw it in Bates I was immediately digging up the materials for it.post-3856-1200601745_thumb.jpg

A closer look at the tail

Doug

doug, can you post the pattern for this fly, i may like to whip one of these out one day, it's such a lovely pattern, i'm intrigued by it.

Bud

Sure Thing Bud,

Purple Emperor

tag: silver twist and yellow silk

tail: Tourocou, strands of summer duck and powder blue macaw

Butt: Black ostrich herl

Body: fine oval tinsel w/ 4 turns of violet seals fur at throat

Ribbing: oval gold tinsel

Hackle: A silver coch-y-bondu from butt

Throat: Hen pheasant died yellow

Wing: 2 JC back to back, wigeon, swan dyed yellow, GP tail, tourocou, and gray mallard

Topping: GP crest

Head: Black

As per J.D. Bates-Fishing Atlantic Salmon

Let me know how it goes

Doug

Very cooooool. Love that tail. :headbang: :headbang:

what size is the hook?

John has it on his site in Tony Smith's section and gives a bit of description about the Tourocou:

The recipe as found on page 197 of The Salmon Fly by Kelson:

Tag---Silver twist and yellow silk.

Tail---Tourocou, strands of Summer Duck and powdered blue Macaw.

Butt---Black herl.

Body---Silver tinsel (oval, fine) with four turns of violet seal's fur at throat.

Ribs---Gold tinsel (oval).

Hackle---A silver coch-a-bonddu from butt.

Throat---A hen Pheasant dyed yellow.

Wings---Two Jungle (back to back), Widgeon, Swan dyed yellow, Golden Pheasant tail Tourocou, grey Mallard and a topping.

For those of you who have no idea what Tourocou is. This is the only pattern in fly tying literature (according to Paul Schmookler in Rare and Unusual Fly Tying Materials; A Natural History, Vol. 1 Birds) to call for this feather.

The violet, blue and green feathers come from the wing coverts and secondaries of the Knysna Touraco found in Southeastern South Africa. I found out the hard way that the violet color will leach out of the feathers if you soak them. I'm told local tribesmen used the feathers as a dye source. I would simply use crimson or violet goose as a substitute.

Thanks Roy,

It's a 3/0 A&H. As I mentioned in my recipe list I got it from Bates, where I was taken by the fly. Googled around and found Tony's version on John's site . I tried to "copy" his style on the wing and the sides. I sent him a copy of it, which was the beginning of a long list of "Fly-nerd" correspondence. That's what my girlfriend calls it when she wakes up a 1am and I'm typing or tying a fly.

It is very nice!!Different looking than most, nice style with this one!!

Sign in to follow this