Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Monquarter

Black heron

Based on the poll earlier this week, I see some tiers really, really like speys and dees and other tiers really, really dislike them.

When I started tying some 20 years ago, I was not very fond of them. I have since grown to love them. Beautiful ones are elegantly simple.. While technically easy to construct, I find them terribly difficult to get them to "look right". To achieve style or soul in these "simple" flies is quite difficult I think.

I am looking forward to your comments, good or bad!

Marc

post-13487-1200607272_thumb.jpg

Beautiful Body Work and I love that Hackle!!! :headbang:

A lovely fly . One minor detail the antiques were tied with the wing opposite way round . longest tips nearest the body . It is a beauty .

Chris.

Absolutely great pattern . I just started tying Speys after many years tying . Your fly gives me something to strive for ........Frank

A lovely fly . One minor detail the antiques were tied with the wing opposite way round . longest tips nearest the body . It is a beauty .

Chris.

Thanks for the input Chris. While I have seen that style in pictures, I have never tied one like that. I will give that style a try and post both styles and see what people have to say!

Marc

You are right, by many standards, Speys are simple but the execution is not. I think Speys & Dees that are tied with “soul” as you put it, are my favorite flies. Nicely done!!!!!!!

You are right, by many standards, Speys are simple but the execution is not. I think Speys & Dees that are tied with “soul” as you put it, are my favorite flies. Nicely done!!!!!!!

Thanks Ronn. I tied this about 4 years ago. I am slowly getting back into the groove of tying. I've lived in 4 homes and the wife and I had 2 wonderful children in the past 4 years. I am now settled down and enjoying getting back into my passion.

Looking at the flies you guys tie is great motivation and inspiration! The talent here is incredible.

Marc

Sign in to follow this