Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
QCflies

The Kate 4/0

Tied this last week, and since I'm new to these parts I thought I'd share some more of my work with you all.

Doug

post-3856-1200701014_thumb.jpg

Looks good to me and though I prefer the version using seal fur (don't remember which one) this one is very nice.

This is the Kelson version I believe, and P-T's calls for the seal, but lacks the duck sides and roof I believe. I see many versions with the seal, and the other Kelson ingredients. I too like the dubbed body, and it's a fishier fly that way I think.

really nice doug, love the low set wing, almost radencich in apperance, great job

Bud

Bud,

Many thanks! That's quite a compliment. I'm glad Radencich isn't here he'd probably have something to say. Though certainly his book is well used and has influenced us all I believe. Though after seeing Damian in action my technique may be a bit different.

The underwing is a single doubled over tippet laid flat on the body. A fishin' fly trick i picked up. It makes for the tippet in strands as the recipe calls.

Doug

This is the Kelson version I believe, and P-T's calls for the seal, but lacks the duck sides and roof I believe. I see many versions with the seal, and the other Kelson ingredients. I too like the dubbed body, and it's a fishier fly that way I think.

The Kelson version has light blue in the wing too - which I much prefer - think they all have seal over the front 3/4 of the body - strictly if it has a floss body and kingfisher in the tail actually this is an Assasin.

Very nice work though - I'd aim to track down some finer, denser herl to use - nothing like a neat butt to polish up the look of a fly.

Dave

Looking good. Tis theP/T version(just looked it up to make sure lol) Kelsons` is the one with the seals` fur . Anyway both versions look great :yahoo:

The Kelson version has light blue in the wing too - which I much prefer - think they all have seal over the front 3/4 of the body - strictly if it has a floss body and kingfisher in the tail actually this is an Assasin.

Dave i think you're partially right on this. Looking at both Kelson and P-T. I had flip-floppd the two dressings. P-T's calls for just crimson floss, and JC and Chatterer. And Kelson calls for the floss at the but and the remainder crimson seal, with no Chatterer. I was wrong indeed regarding the roof as they both call for it. And Kelson adds the blue in the wing as well.

I sometimes spend more times sleuthing these patterns out with my limited knowledge and resources than I do tying them. But that's half the fun in my eye.

As you are a native son of the region, and I am in Alaska I couldn't really back up my info with anymore than what I read from the 2 texts.

Good advice on the herl, these came from John. I'll get more someday.

Thanks,

Doug

Dave,

I forgot about the Hardy. I see in that there's seal, no Chatterer and blue in the wing. Does this volume predate both afore mentioned references?

If so than that's the way I'd call it too.

Got to tit a true Kate then,

Doug

Dave,

I forgot about the Hardy. I see in that there's seal, no Chatterer and blue in the wing. Does this volume predate both afore mentioned references?

If so than that's the way I'd call it too.

Got to tit a true Kate then,

Doug

The pattern was invented by Kate Courteney ne Kearney (yes that one) for the Tweed (and was also popular on the nearby North Tyne) and it first appears in Francis Francis with a red/yellow, plus the other materials, wing - with only Kelson (and Hardy and Hale which lifted patterns straight from Kelson) including the light blue in the wing - though given that she was I believe a friend of GS' then this may have been an 'approved' embelishment.

The pattern itself is almost identical to the irish pattern called the Assasin - though this particular fly (which is different from ther the ones Tolfrey) is I think a 20thC invention.

Dave

i`d just like to comment on how ,when you start looking into a patterns origins just how many twists and turns and little variations you can come up with. Just found another version in Chris Mann`s book which has a chenille head , supposedly from Francis . It can just go on and on and on lol :dunno: Bob

i`d just like to comment on how ,when you start looking into a patterns origins just how many twists and turns and little variations you can come up with. Just found another version in Chris Mann`s book which has a chenille head , supposedly from Francis . It can just go on and on and on lol :dunno: Bob

He's wrong it's from Maxwell.

Dave

Sign in to follow this