Fly Tying
kschu

Number 10 on the Top 100

It is really cool that this great site is number 10 on the Fly Fishing Top 100 sites listing. Obviously, we should all be spreading the word about how good the discussions and such on this site are. I've seen variations of forum software similar to what is available here, but this is the best implementation I've seen yet. rockon.gif

My question is, what else can we do to help bump this site up higher on that Top 100 list?

What events cause the rank to go up?

Does it help if we the members click through on the little Top 100 graphic on the bottom of the Forum Index page?

Does it help if we go to the Top 100 list and click through to the FTF page?

Does it really come down to unique visitors coming to the site and being recorded by a counter?

If we knew how we could help, I'm sure there are several of us who would be happy to do what we can. NOTE: I am not suggesting some computer wizard write some script or robot to artificially raise our count. I'm asking what legitimate and honest things can be done to improve the ranking.

Having said all that, maybe hitting the Top 10 is significant enough and we should focus on thanking those who maintain this wonderful forum for us. clapping.gif thumbsup.gif

More later,

Ken S.

Ken nice to see the members so happy with this site,will has worked very hard to make it what it is and we mod's try to keep the site informative as well as a enjoyable place to hang out so its nice to see you guys are happy with it smile.gif

Far as moving in the ranks i think its the unique users that bump it up in the ranks but i'm not sure....will knows how that works so he can explain it better.

For a site that is still under a year old being in the top 10 is a awsome deal and the great membership and team we have here is the reson why headbang.gif

SD

Yea Steve it right the list only takes unique visitors into consideration. We are slowly gaining on them and it won't be long.

I appreciate the comments on the site, I can't take the credit though. Without a great staff of mods helping out and coming up with ideas this place wouldn't amount to anything.

BTW Ken I would love to get up to Illinois one of these days to fish some of your guys' great Smallmouth water wink.gif

Did you notice? The site is up to number 9 on the top 100. biggrin.gif

I've mentioned the site to a few friends recently. We are only 40 "unique visitors" behind the site in the number 8 slot.

Ken S.

QUOTE (DFix @ May 6 2004, 01:07 PM)
In that ratings system, what is the definition of a "unique" user?

Well let's see

Troutbum, Will and SD are quite "unique"

Add Hubbard and Esox and it goes right off the scale. cool.gif

My wife works as a teachers aide in a first grade class at the Lutheran school that my kids attended. I hear "first grade" jokes all the time. This sounds an aweful lot like one of them. But I must admit, it was a very appropriate use of the play on words. Made me laugh.

Ken S.

QUOTE (kschu @ May 8 2004, 04:13 PM)
I hear "first grade" jokes all the time. This sounds an aweful lot like one of them.

I wanted to make sure that smalliehunter was able to understand it ken wink.gif ....than again at 4'3" pretty much everything go's over his head laugh.gif

Damn, Steve

You're killing me. Nuthin's sacret around this joint. At 4'3" he makes me look "average" laugh.gif wink.gif

LOL wow ralf first time i met you i thought i had come into the land of lucky charms.LOL now i find out there is someone smaller then you.But the best part about ralf is he does have a big heart for us big guys steve.

It was a good joke- I enjoy laughing a few times each year whether I need to or not laugh.gif ! Now, regarding the vertically challenged... rolleyes.gif

(...still doesn't answer my question about unique users)

Dave,

A unique user is counting one person per a given time period. So if I come back to the site 20 times in a 24 hour period I would only be counted as 1 unique visitor. The counter system does run on a 24 hour cycle.

I thought "Unique" users were weird looking guys who live on the north shore of Boston with long unkempt mustashes. wink.gif