Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
QCflies

Two Butchers 4/0 & 3/0

After last nights excellent virtual demo by Damian where I was enlightned to the fact that I need to get some dyed turkey for wings. For the last 3 years I've been using dyed goose shoulder for all my married wings and have struggled when building a wing for 4/0's. I can't remember if it was Paul or Bud that declared it impossible to cover a 4/0 with goose. Well it's not impossible, just very challenging.

When resources permit I will certainly acquire a selection of turkey and soon I will spend less time matching barb length for 4/0's and more time mounting wings hopefully as fast and as efficient as Damian. :headbang:

post-3856-1200769918_thumb.jpg

a 4/0 Butcher

post-3856-1200769991_thumb.jpg

a 3/0 Butcher

Learning every day,

Doug

Hey Doug,

I really appreciate the kind words.

Thanks for joining in by the way. I really like these Butchers, it's a pattern I haven't tried yet, but I like what you did with them.

The one thing that really stands out to me on these two is the crests. A bad crest can really detract from the overall appearance of the fly and quality crest and careful selection can really make the rest of the well constructed components really stand out and shine.

John Mc and Ronn Lucas have some of the best GP crests I've used and you know that you'll be getting quality stuff.

You mention hook size, why not drop down to the 2/0 or 3/0 range? You can get a very respectable wing from goose and like you mention, 4/0 wing with goose is pushing it, but it can be done, but very labour intensive.

Looking forward to seeing more.

QCF:

Few things get my attention more than those tyers who adapt successfully to their material shortages. Some lengthy goose doesn't hurt eh? I am a bit concerned that when and if the time comes that you obtain turkey, and use the same techniques, your heads will be even larger than now. I suggest that you research various methods to reduce thread wraps so the extra cost of the turkey will translate to smaller heads and greater satisfaction on your part. These are both very fine flies !!!!!! You're just a short step that requires long practice from getting to the next level

dg

dg

Great advise Damian. It's funny you mentioned the crests from John, as last week I had just received and now have prepared a nice GP head from John. The other crest i had also came from him but Ihad not prepared them properly and there were kinks in the feathers that made selection very limiting. I think the Sir Richard I posted has one of those new crests on it.

I have a very limited budget so I have to be a little more practical and for now work with what I have. As time goes on I'll get some 2/0's and a more expansive collection of feathers. Over the 3 years I've been trying to tie these flies I've built up a more complete and reliable assortment of materials. As you know to well it's a never ending quest.

Thanks again,

Doug

Few things get my attention more than those tyers who adapt successfully to their material shortages. Some lengthy goose doesn't hurt eh? I am a bit concerned that when and if the time comes that you obtain turkey, and use the same techniques, your heads will be even larger than now. I suggest that you research various methods to reduce thread wraps so the extra cost of the turkey will translate to smaller heads and greater satisfaction on your part. These are both very fine flies !!!!!! You're just a short step that requires long practice from getting to the next level

dg

More great words of wisdom. I know that to aspire to a smaller head is something to strive for. I guess At this point I can possible begin that quest. I get hung up laying down extra thread as the fly nears completion out of fear the materials aren't secure or as I finish the head I get carried away. I am using 8/0 thread, which I think a lot of you guys may use 12/0. That's a scary proposition for me and my callused finger tips. Fear of breakage or fraying such a fragile thread diameter has kept me away from that. I hope I do get there. And thanks to all for the help. THIS SITE ROCKS!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Short-barbed and big headed in Alaska!

Nice!!!!! One thing about tying these things is that you never stop learning Bob

Really excellent work, especially at that size - extremely impressed - a LITTLE bit of humping would add to the wing stylistically - but isn't 'necessary'.

Look at getting some Gaelic Supreme hooks off John McLain - the Limerics - think the better shape it'll add to you work (though they are a bit up and down in shank length because like Sprites they use one bend for 2 sizes) - they ain't expensive.

Dave

Maybe my fav pattern, looks nice but there are some areas ........ :) I got a good tip from a guy once and he said: LOOK on the tip and tell me what you see. LOOK on the tag and tell me what you see. LOOK on the tail and tell me what you see. LOOK at the butt and tell me what you see. Do this with all of the elements on the fly, pick it apart so you learn to see what you can do otherwise, better and so on.When I start with this, I start seeing what i earlyer was to blind to see :) PS I dont say i see everything now but i see much much more now. Keep up the good work :)

Nice work Doug...........another MONSTER is born.......... :D .......keep at it. mark..... B)

Sign in to follow this