Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
CapeBSalar

Mounting a Wing~ Silver Doctor

Hi Guys,

Well had to finish this silver doctor today and decided to shoot it with the camera and took it into media maker and I uploaded it to HatchesTV for anyone to see.

It's by no means a professional production, it's nothing fancy, but if it helps someone else in any little way, I'll be happy.

Don't be too hard on me though ok. :)

Damian.

http://hatchesmagazine.com/tv/play.php?vid=180

Damian,

It was like Deja-vu. only this time I could see the motion much better. Another great production!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Hey it looked to me like your under wings were mounted before the Throat hackle. Could that be, and if so why, and how?

Also I noticed that after your wing was mounted there was a tad bit of a gap between the hackles and wing wrappings. Is this a standard practice. I was always lead to believe that the wraps and materialsare to be atop as much as possible to avoid exposed thread on the underside.

Again, enjoyed immensely!!

Thanks,

Doug

:bugeyes:

Thanks so much for posting this. It is the first time I have seen anyone mount a wing like these and I am really impressed by how it went. The help on this forum is just off the charts. Maybe one of these days I will quit just drooling every morning when I see the new creations and actually get some materials and start trying to tie a classic. Way, way cool.

John

Hey John,

Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the kind words.

Doug, I sent you a pm as well, but I'll answer in here also...I may expand a bit on here though,

I did put on the underwings first and then the throat, the last time I tied this fly I had issue with bulk from the throat when applying the underwings, even with a z bend in the gp tippet It rode high, and caused trouble with the GP tail portion disappeared under the mounted wing. Doing it the opposite way I was able to get the underwing down real low. I'm sure there's other ways to acheive the desired results, from what I've read, doing this both ways is acceptable and I always flip flop, I don't tend to follow the rules all that much, I take shortcuts, etc, so for me, whatever way gets the desired result I go with it.

On the second point you made, you are correct, I totally fudged the mounting of the wing, well the exact postion of the thread wraps in respect to the throat that is. I compensated for this by......dare I say this in public, wrapping thread back over on top of the wing just slightly and then finishing it up with the dubbing head, effectively hiding my little faux pas. I don't reccomend this though. I'm sure I'll catch hell from the others for this explanation of events.

I'm by no way advocating that this is "the" way to do things, I'm just sharing my video and my personal way of doing things. I'm not a "by the book" tyer.

Thanks to all for the comments and critiques and kind words.

:)

Sign in to follow this