Fly Tying
Crotalus

UV light for Loon Knot Sense?

I bought the Loon UV light last year and used it a couple times and the switch broke on it. Before I bu another one for $12 i wanted to see if there were any other options.

I found this one from Streamlight http://www.streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=72

but i am not 100% sure that it will cure the knot sense, and it is larger and more expensive than the Loon light, but i would expect it to last much longer.

Thanks

I have never used that light before, but the one I saw @ my local fly shop was like $25 so $12 sounds like a deal to me. I also heard all you need to do is take you fly or knot or whatever out side in the sun for a minute and that works as well. Just my 2c. It is very sweet stuff. We have been using the UV Knot for our Saltwater flies here in So California and it works great!!

Justin

Here's a link to a fly were using in the surf. http://www.garybulla.com/Razzler.htm

Dean is a member here on FTF "Flyjunkie" he is the origanator of the "Razzler" and in step 3 he says take you fly outside to cure. Maybe p.m. him and pick his brain.

I use a Dental Curing light that I got from Craigslist for $30.

I also use a finger nail polish curing light that picked from Ebay for $6.

The Dental Light takes 15 seconds to cure UV Knot Sense. It cures clear without a tacky surface.

The nail polish light takes longer to cure. I just tie several CJ's, apply the UV Knot Sense and put them in a box, slip them in the light and let them set for 5 minutes.

Stay away from the single LED light and pick up the 3 LED UV Light or just put them in the sunlight.

This is what I use UV Knot Sense on.

http://www.flytyingclips.com/scudflip.html

Kimo

Yup, that'll work, but as Kimo says, the ones with 3 LED bulbs with a broader selection of wavelengths work much better than the singled bulbed lights. They even make ones with as many as 5 LED bulbs, but those get pretty expensive.

Wal-Mart sells a UV light for about 10 bucks. It's in the sporting good dept and is sold I believe for tracking animals. It clips on your hat and comes with batteries.

I use mine to charge glow in the dark flies, and also with my knot sense.

Much cheaper than the Loon light and just as effective.

I know this is an old thread but if you're interested and in the off chance ypu've yet to buy one this may be a good substitute.. $5.62 plus shipping..