Fly Tying
Chalk

Psychedelic Critter

Appreciate the compliments :thumbup:

Another option to this one is to trim the estaz on top and bottom and make it look more like a toad.

I'm gonna try some EP shrimp brush and Anadromous Brush on this one and see what it looks like...might become the hippy critter :D

Nice job! I'd love to see one with the EP brush. I just saw the stuff in the local shop and it looks very nice - if a little pricey.

Hey Chalk,

Got two questions from a newb...

The pic shows a size 4 right? I tied one on a 2 and it doesn't look nearly as "buggy" as your pic.

and "stroking it as you wrap it" - you mean stroking it towards the back to pile it up closer/tighter?

Thanks!

Mark

Hey Chalk,

Got two questions from a newb...

The pic shows a size 4 right? I tied one on a 2 and it doesn't look nearly as "buggy" as your pic.

and "stroking it as you wrap it" - you mean stroking it towards the back to pile it up closer/tighter?

Thanks!

Mark

That's probably what he means. On that sparkleminnow I showed you how to tie, that's what I do, stroke it back after every wrap. It does make it buggier with the Angel Hair dubbing rope thingy on that fly.

Mark,

I stroke the pile (the estaz already on the hook) back towards the hook point, stroking the pile back keeps you from wrapping over the estaz as you palmer. Then I stroke the estaz (in your hand) back as I palmer it.... I pull the estaz with my index finger and thumb back with one hand and advance the estaz forward while pulling back....I follow with my index finger and thumb and let go when my fingers stretch out....in the video below my left hand is in the same position.

Writing that makes it sound difficult but it's not. If you look at Borski's 2nd DVD he uses the same method for palmering feathers on the redfish slider.

This video is an example of what I call stroking the pile only difference is I stroke back...then grab the estaz I am fixing to palmer and pull it back and follow it around and repeat as he does -

A number 2 hook will probably look a little less buggy do to the hook being bigger.

I hope that explains it and didn't confuse the heck out of ya :dunno: :D

Here you go JJD

I finally received my EP Shrimp Brush from saltwaterflies.com and couldn't stand not spinning a few up tonight. Basically a mangrove or psychedelic critter with a new coat on...I guess I could call it the "Hippy Critter" :P

Note I didn't feel like making epoxy eyes so.....that is hair brush parts in those bugs :D

Hook size is #2 Mustad 34007

IPB Image

IPB Image