Fly Tying
dfield

slump buster

Great looking tie!. This is a great fly for night fishing on Lake Taneycomo in Branson, Missouri. I like to tie them on a size 10 mustad streamer hook with mink and SLF dubbing.

duckydoty

thats a nice fly i will have to try and ty one rabbit will work also right?

Yes it's made from one strip.

I usually get my mink from Wapsi, but I have built a rabbit and mink hide stripping jig. You can get whole tanned mink skins from moscow hide and fur for about $30.00 per skin when they are on sale

duckydoty

I usually get my mink from Wapsi, but I have built a rabbit and mink hide stripping jig. You can get whole tanned mink skins from moscow hide and fur for about $30.00 per skin when they are on sale

duckydoty

I just discover them. wow what a site for tiers. They have a blush mink on sale @ 27 something. I just got some pieces. It a good think I cked out before discoving the bird skins. LOL

here is the link if anyone what's to ck them out

http://www.hideandfur.com/

Any one want to go in on a cougar skin with me??? 1295.00$ we can split it up like 40 ways...... 32 dollars each???? Great site!!!

Has anyone tied this pattern with pine squirrel strips? I live in the west and that is what we use for trout and some bass slump busters. In order to get the bushy profile I tie the strip in backwards. That is, when I palmer the strip for the body the grain of the fur is going forward instead of backwards.

Greg

I have tied them with pine squirrel and it works great. Just cant get pine squirrel in white, thats why I use the mink for them. My personal opinion for fishing Lake Taneycomo is that rabbit is too long and thin for the size flies I like to use and tie.

duckydoty

The colors I tend to use are olive, black, rust and natural. Since I am using them mostly for trout the bright colors are not usually necessary. Have you tried using a two tone approach to this fly? I find that the tail and body of one color with a colar/head of black really adds accent to the fly and works well.

Greg

Gonna have to try that 2-tone thing... sounds like it could be a killer.

Hey Ducky was good seeing you on Saturday night, did you guys get into anything good on Sunday???? Also can you post something to the effect of how you made your zonking jig??? I would like to have one and actually kind of need one right now with all the mink I have.

Steve