Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mcfly

Politics & Fishermen

Thanks....I'll look it over in depth next week.

I have a link for you two when I can find it again (I printed it out).

In the Bott decision(s) the Supreme Court again asked the legislature to create law they can work off of to define navigable. The DNR introduced legislation in the 60's that mirrored the Bott rulings and it began to pass the necessary committees but was shot down when property owners diluged the elected officials. I wish they would try again. There's no way the sportsman would be over ruled this time with the internet. Here in Michigan we've been success in uniting for outdoor causes (it looks good for the dove bill so far). The problem would be finding someone with the back bone to sponsor the bill. help.gif bs.gif

"Navigable" is key word here in Calif., and subject to different interpretations. The landowners do own the creek, stream, canal bed sometimes, but if you stay in your boat you are ok. Big argument here is that during high water some streams and creeks become navigable and duck hunters use that high water to access areas. The landowners are suing to stop navigation during high water, and I think they are winning.

QUOTE (dabalone @ May 7 2004, 05:08 PM)
"Navigable" is key word here in Calif

Yep, same here in Michigan. Unfortunately the Supreme Court keeps changing the definition and it gets confusing.

I read where water is like air. No one owns it yet everyone owns it. Very confusing but it's an issue that needs to be resolved some how. To cloud the issue some land is Nat'l Forest that touches streams but yet the other side is private so the feds could bungle it even worse than it is.

There has to be a medium between the land owners and the public some where.

Is this section of river a "navigable waterway" if so from what I have read they have no right to block your enterance to the river. YOu can float if you wish.

Its interesting how this varies state to state. In New Mexico you own up to the water but not under the water. I have still had friends who found themselves staring at a 12 guage however. I just make it a point to fish public water but it gets really tough some places. I'm allergic to lead pellets.