Fly Tying
Hot Tuna

How do you tie off your parachutes?

Finishing off parachutes  

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I do it the same way SD and others do; wrap and whip finish behind the hook eye. I guess I'm just old and set in my ways . . . . .

I finish mine off by tying the hackle off behind the post with 2 or 3 wraps then bring the thread over the eye and use my half hitch tool put 4 or 5 wraps snug it up then hit the under side with head cement. For the life of me I can't get the hang of tying the hackle off in front of the post. :yahoo:

The only thing I do different is I tie off the hackle around the post. I then half hitch. The tool really helps in not capturing barbs.

I am about to start whip finishing around the post. Just need to try it but it looks pretty slick.

If you're using the tying thread for the fly body (eg silk), then you can whip at the tail.

Whipping at the tail can be accomplished with dubbing on the thread also - it's a little

tricky because there's dubbing on the thread during the finish.

A larger whip finish tool also helps with this technique.

I'm with this one also.

I finish mine off by tying the hackle in front of the post with 4 or 5 wraps then depending on the fly may dub it forward or I may not. I'm another fan of the half hitch tool for this. It keeps me out of trouble with the barbs then I glue the head.

I Like this Question :D . What I do is start tying all the back of the Fly in first then when I get up to the Front I Ty in My material whether it is antron, CDC, Sparkle Organza, Deer, Moose or what ever you like to use.

then I take my parachute tool to hold it up and Ty in my hackle.

Then take my dubbin and rap up to the wing material.

now is when I rap my Hackle then take my thumb and index finger and gently pull back the Hackle fibers and then Ty in the Hackle.

Now For the finish I loud up my thread snuff o finish the rest of my Fly. Start to rap it to the eye of the Hook but Lev about 1/2" to 2/3" of dubbin on the thread. Now take your whip finisher an whip finish the dubbin on to the body and cut you thread of close as you can to the body.

You Now have a completely finished Fly and no bulk at the Head.

so that is the way I tout my self to do a Parachute Fly. :cheers:

Thanks tyrite (Glen Dayton)

"I'm going to tie and whip the post...

tie and whip the post.

and Lord I feel like fly tying."

sung to the tune of Whipping Post by the Allman Brothers

Just for you Shaq!!

lol

Crackaig,

Thank you for posting that video, it was a great help to me. I will be trying a lot more parachute patterns in the future.

I wrap the hackle in a counterclockwise direction (looking down). This causes the hackle fibers, over the eye, to angle away from me. I secure the hackle to the post with 2 or 3 wraps in the same direction, then make a wrap to transfer the thread to the head area. Because the hackle fibers are angled away from me, thread wraps can be made at the head without pulling the hackle back. With a little practice and angling the thread slightly, the thread brushes the fibers out of its way and does not trap them. The head can be whip finished in the same manner.

wrap the hackle stem while building a base around the post. once at the top of the post wrap thread back down and once back down to the hook wrap the thread around the post and let thread hang on side of hook facing you. wrap hackle clockwise from top to bottom of post, hold hackle in left hand and pick up thread and wrap over hackle and around post.. turn vise so that fly is on it's side. drop head cement on tips of hackle and head cement will slide down hackle tips and once it gets to the post base it will completely cover the post. ..Charlie Craven style.

I just started tying off at the post after seeing a YouTube video. It's a little tricky at first with smaller flies but once you get the technique down, it makes a real nice tie off. No trapped barbs.