Fly Tying
Hot Tuna

How do you tie off your parachutes?

Finishing off parachutes  

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

When I do it, I put a small piece of a small straw or swizzle stick on the bobbin and slide it over the hackle and whip finish, it holds the hackle back and doesn't damage it in any way.

Blane

If you get a really thin penetrating CA glue (I use it for finishing reel seats, it soaks into the wood and buffs to a high polish...), it doesn't bind or clump the materials at all, I just put one drop on and let it soak in. When i first took the poll, I was shocked to see only 5% of people did it my way, but then I started reading through... I do alot of dandelion-type parachutes and that's what I thought they were talking about. When I tie mine, I do them in big batches... imagine a piece of stretched mono with hackles every 2 inches. The way I set up my rig to tie them, there isn't any way to whip finish, so you can tie half hitches over the mono slowly, or glue them off. Once I started that habit, I started gluing all my parachutes, even the ones I was tying right onto the fly. Maybe bad habit, but it works for me.

My other bad habit is cutting thread with a razor blade instead of scissors. This is something I picked up from rod building, and people make funny faces when they watch me tie at shows. Not something I would recommend however.

I must admit out of all the methods CA glue does seem to be the simplest way. If I ever find a way to handle the stuff without the usual comedic results I would probably use it. It was designed for BDR so the thing it sticks best is flesh. My skin seems to attract the stuff. Has anyone ever managed to empty a tube they haven't used all at once?

Cheers,

C.

I must admit out of all the methods CA glue does seem to be the simplest way. If I ever find a way to handle the stuff without the usual comedic results I would probably use it. It was designed for BDR so the thing it sticks best is flesh. My skin seems to attract the stuff. Has anyone ever managed to empty a tube they haven't used all at once?

Cheers,

C.

Yeah. A couple of times. Managed ot stick my hand to the cutting mat, when model building, on more than one occasion.