Fly Tying
flyfishingtaz

portable tying bags

Does anyone know of any sites that carry huge portable tying bags? Just took a job driving truck over the road. I want to take my vise and some supplies with me, but the bag I have currently wont handle enough supplies for the time I'll be on the road. I want to limit the space taken up in truck, so I've considered just using a laptop bag for the supplies as well, and keeping my other bag for vise and tools. But, I remember awhile back there was a tying bag that was just huge. Think it was called a fly hive or something. Anyone know what I'm talking about? And, if so, where could I find one??

It was the Fly Hive, but they went out of business. You may be able to find them on line some place still.

Another option is to head to Walmart and get an American Tourister carry on briefcase bag or carry on suitcase (both under $50). They both have multiple pockets that would suffice to carry and separate tools and a large interior for your feathers/fur.

Try this link, Fly Hive File Cabinet Storage System, for the bag storage system mentioned above. I have two of these. They hold a lot of "stuff"!! I would recommend one or two; they are cheap enough you could but a couple and really haul a lot with you, plus they seem built well enough to last a long time.

Ray

Another good option is JoAnn Fabics and get one of the bags they sell for craftwork. THey do a lot of 40-50% off sales and you can get some nice totes for a reasonable price then.

Check out the bag that Bass Pro Shops sells. It will hold a ton of stuff including your vise and a small lamp and I believe it is still under 40 bucks.

I have had mine for three years of heavy use and it is still in great shape.

Fishpone Coyote is another great option, but is pretty expensive.

It was the Fly Hive, but they went out of business. You may be able to find them on line some place still.

Another option is to head to Walmart and get an American Tourister carry on briefcase bag or carry on suitcase (both under $50). They both have multiple pockets that would suffice to carry and separate tools and a large interior for your feathers/fur.

Are you sure they are out of business? I could have swore i saw someone selling them at the Somerset show on saturday.

They did indeed go out of business. I tried to call them several weeks back and got somebody's home number. They said they get calls all the time asking for Fly Hive...

They definitely went out of business ,but some fly shops are selling what inventory they have left....I saw the guy in the Flytiers section selling the inserts for $5...I could always use extras but by that time I had already spent my money & needed the extra $5 to get me home. I love mine...I can fit everything in it including my vise & the shoulder strap makes it all comfy.

Love my hive!!! I'v actually got two, one for practicle materials and one for "fancy fly" materials. I'd reccomend trying to find them still. I should have bought one more before they went out.

They may be trying to sell their business as someone said before, but after this thread began, I bought two more of their cases, just to make sure I have enough. With these two, I have four. You can spend your money where you want, but for around $35.00 each, you aren't going to get a better deal.

Ray

I was posting about them and as I was, this message came in, so my bags are headed this way:

***Do not reply to this e-mail. UPS and The Fly Hatch, Inc. will not receive your reply.

This message was sent to you at the request of The Fly Hatch, Inc. to notify you that the package information below has been transmitted to UPS. The package(s) may not have actually been placed with UPS for shipment. To verify when and if the shipment is tendered to UPS and its actual transit status, click on the tracking link below or contact The Fly Hatch, Inc. directly.

Important Delivery Information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scheduled Delivery: 01-February-2008

Shipment Detail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ship To:

Harold Ray Emerson

Number of Packages 1

UPS Service: GROUND

Weight: 21.0 LBS