Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DaveG

Temple Dog

I have heard various explanations as to the source of "true" temple dog fur. If even a little doubt remains in my mind as to the origin of this fur, I refuse to purchase it and would encourage others to do so, as some of the references point to obvious animal cruelty. Perhaps this is much ado about nothing. Got some info ???

dg

could you explain the origins and the unethical treatment of the animal? Although I would suggest you have some fur/mask/tail/skin in your collection that required an animal to die. (I sure do!!!)

I am unaware of the process to get this hair, could you elaborate?

Thanks a lot,

I have heard various explanations as to the source of "true" temple dog fur. If even a little doubt remains in my mind as to the origin of this fur, I refuse to purchase it and would encourage others to do so, as some of the references point to obvious animal cruelty. Perhaps this is much ado about nothing. Got some info ???

dg

Hi Dave

You are moving in to a mine field. Some times it is better to leave a stone unturned.

Regards

Jens

I rember reading an interview about the temple dog and it's creator(Hakan Norling) and he said he used tibetian dog but stoped using it because of the cruelty caused to the animal.

If you are worried about the death of animals to supply the fly tying trade I recomend that you leave this hobby because synthetics can't replace everything. It can't replace feather at all. Admittadly it can replace a lot of hair though.

Open to discussion,

Jason.

Most of the Temple Dog hair nowadays is very high quality Artic Fox thats why it costs so much.

I believe it is "Your right to know" regarding the source and/or origin of the materials you buy. After that...make a choice.

True "Temple Dog", according to several reliable references is only obtained by RIPPING THE FUR OFF THE DOG WHILE IT IS STILL ALIVE.

The obvious over stimulation of the nerve cells causes the unique and unmistakable perpendicular set of the fur to the skin

There will of course be some purveyors who are either ignorant or unscrupulous enough to deny this

If you are knowingly purchasing true temple dog fur....I have NO PROBLEM letting you know I abhor the practice and have reduced respect for the buyer

dg

I agree with you dg,

It is not only the right, but the duty to know what and where your material comes from. I would love to read some sources and see what they have to say. I appreciate your post here, stimulated my interest. I am definatly going to need some sources to verify everything, but thanks for the heads up, i wouldnt have thought about this anyways,

Phil

I tend to use materials that I harvest from animals I hunt. Thus my deer hair isn't always the best and my pheasant tails are "Iowa" quality :blink:

It does no harm for us to remember that as highbrow and ethical as we wish for our sport to be in the end we can't claim to be too righteous.

We live in glass houses.....what we SHOULD do, is mind our own damn business. I own no temple dog..... mark

I don't think any of us harbor any illusions about where our materials come from. However, if Dave's description is correct, then there is indeed something wrong with using Temple Dog. I am not an animal rights activist, animals have no rights, but they do deserve the courtesy of being euthanized humanely.

Suggesting to someone that if the reality bothers them that they should change or drop the subject or give up their hobby is just plain arrogance. If you use Temple Dog and are aware of how it is produced, I for one would love to hear how you rationalize that. If Dave's indictment is mistaken, I'd love to see your evidence to the contrary. If this discussion makes anyone uncomfortable, that is good, we should all consider the consequences of using natural materials.

I don't think any of us harbor any illusions about where our materials come from. However, if Dave's description is correct, then there is indeed something wrong with using Temple Dog. I am not an animal rights activist, animals have no rights, but they do deserve the courtesy of being euthanized humanely.

Suggesting to someone that if the reality bothers them that they should change or drop the subject or give up their hobby is just plain arrogance. If you use Temple Dog and are aware of how it is produced, I for one would love to hear how you rationalize that. If Dave's indictment is mistaken, I'd love to see your evidence to the contrary. If this discussion makes anyone uncomfortable, that is good, we should all consider the consequences of using natural materials.

What he said!