Fly Tying

Stone's are one of my fav. patterns to tie/use and every summer i tie a TON of them for the up coming september run of salmon here in MI.

I have used a variety of materials for the body but wondered if anyone has used anything besides biots for the legs?

I have used biots/dacron/hackle myself but know there has to be alot of other materials that would work and look good.

SD

I have a pattern for a stone that uses rubber strands, they look really good on the fly since they are black round and uneven not like a rubber band. The problem is I have no idea where to find them.

That sounds like a fly I lost just today. It was a bead head nymph with four very fine diameter rubber legs. It was one of the flies I got last year when I bought the Orvis promo where they offered 8 nymphs in a small wool fly wallet for $10 and then they threw in a $10 Orvis gift certificate and catalog. I think I saw the same offer again this year in one of the fly fishing magazines.

Anyway, the water in the pond at work was a bit murky today. I figured a bead head might be an attention getter. For some reason the level of the pond was down over a foot from normal level. That's the problem with a series of cooling ponds, they pump the water between the ponds and if the pumps get out of sync somehow, the water levels get all messed up (temporarily). With the water level so low, the bluegills were packed up against shore. And the carp were wollowing in areas where you can't normally spot them. The one "shelf" in this pond is normally about 3-5 feet deep. Today it was like 2-3 feel deep.

I was casting to Bluegill until I would spot a carp and then I'd drop the nymph right in front of the carp. I got two really large ones, on the 4wt St Croix 4 piece rod. I was able to drag the first one up onto shore and then pick it up enough to get the fly back. The second carp was larger and while I did get it dragged onto the rocks, when I tried to lift it higher using the line, the leader broke and the fish quickly wiggled back into the water. He got away with my nymph still in his lip. mad.gif

If anyone knows where to get these fine diameter rubber legs, please share the info. I'd like to tie up a mess of these bead head nymphs. They are great for the bluegill (got eight in 90 mins before work this AM) and apparently they are just attractive enough to get the attention of a carp as well. I did get one small largemouth on the nymph early on. It was all of 6" long. Whoppie.

Ken S.

I like to use hair and fur to give the effect of legs rather than trying to tie knots in biots and other like material. I've never been much for rubber legs in trout or salmon flies. I know they work and many people swear by them, I just prefer to use other material. Estaz also works pretty well when you wrap it around the thorax and trim the top and bottom. Not much movement but alot of flash and transluscency.

Chip

Hey Steve,

I use hackle fibers coated with head cement a lot. You can kink them using a heated bodkin so that they won't straighten out.

Another great product that I use quite regualrly is Bill Skilton's Ant & Beetle Leg Material. This stuff is reminiscent of epoxied thread, but it really does work well and it holds it's shape. It's not an easy to find product, but it's cheap! You can get it directly from Bill (717) 258-0642 - He is located in Boiling Springs, PA.

Good luck!

I am still new to tying, but been catching for quite some time. I like Estaz also. I have been using it to tie Crystal Boogers, but have started trimming it down and leaving legs for a couple other patterns. Got to get a couple pics posted so I can get some of your feedback on the results of my new found hobby.

QUOTE (kschu @ May 7 2004, 12:45 AM)

If anyone knows where to get these fine diameter rubber legs, please share the info.

Ken i went to the fly shop today and found a pack of fine dia rubber legs (black) they are about .030-.040 thick and made by a company called spirit river and you can get a ton of legs out of it.

if you cant find them locally let me know and i can send you a pack if you want

SD

Thanks SD. I'll call the shop tomorrow and see if he carries these. I know he has other stock by Spirit River. I suppose I could also check at the local Gander Mountain. I hope to visit my shop on Thus. night for a tying session.

Ken S.

Moose body hair is also excellent for stonefly legs. I find goose biot to be a little large in diameter for the smaller stones I tie. I think it tapers too fast, for it's length. Moose hair has less taper for a longer length. Just my 0.02

Just tried the rubber legs,think the dia of the rubber is still a bit thick so i'm going to see if i can find a smaller dia. but i like the idea of the movment the rubber is going to give it.

user posted image