Fly Tying
oatka

Broken Bobbin Tip Replacement

About a week ago I let my 1 year old son play with my favorite bobbin, thinking there was nothing he could harm with it. Well, he broke the ceramic/glass tip out of the top. I could make about 1.5 turns around the hook before it would cut the thread.....which I expected since it didn't have the protective tip.

So, I posted on the forum if it's possible to fix and nemoblackdog said it was. So I gave it a shot today. Here are the results!

You will need the following:

A bobbin without the tip

A replacement glass bead

A bodkin

A cork

Nail clippers

Super glue

And M&M's for a snack!

IPB Image

First take the replacement bead and test fit it into the bobbin. I like to keep the bead on the bodkin as much as possible, and poke the bodkin into the cork whenever you are not using it. this will help to keep it from rolling away.

IPB Image

At this test point, you want to make sure the bead fits, and it sticks out past the tip of the metal portion of the bobbin. I found for mine that it was barely past the tip so I wanted to get it farther out and that is where I found the nail clippers useful.

I put the bobbin through the nail clippers and added the bead and bodkin through the middle.

IPB Image

The bodkin keeps the bead from falling out while I squished the tip into a smaller shape that force the bead farther out from the tip....barely. But enough that I felt good about it.

After that, I applied some super glue to the tip and put the bead in with the bodkin still attached. The bodkin I figured gave some pressure to get better contact with all the parts.

I tested it and it seems to work!

IPB Image

great minds!

this one escaped before i finished. i also figured out the bead trick while trying to devise a homemade bobbin. before i figured out the bead i tried lacquer, auto and appliance touch-up paint, liquid plastic, a craft product called liquid porcelain, porcelain touch-up, brass beads, and powder coating (my wife still doesn't know it dripped in the oven!). i even contacted a ceramic tubing company but i couldn't figure out the exact specs i would need and the price was too steep anyway. i thought carbon fiber tubing might work but it made a better thread cutter than dispenser.

i guess a true great mind would have gone right to the solution but it took even Edison a few thousand tries to get the light bulb filament right

the link to the bobbin recipe is here for those interested

FXP bobbin

These are just craft beads, nothing fancy. It works best (and cheaper) if you bum the beads from a buddy! :D

Great idea! I have an older bobbin that just seems to cut the thread sometimes. Its not ceramic. Yea, could just toss it. With your idea, I was able to flare out the tip and super glued a glass bead in. The inside, I just glued a bead over the hole. Its harder to thread it, But it works so smooth. Like making something old new again.

Great fix but we were "stumped" for a moment by the M&Ms. We wonder if they (M&Ms) were left over from Holloween? Take care & ...

Some years ago I was told that the very best beads for a bobbin holder were those used in spooling machines for carbon fibre thread. I don't have a source though.

Cheers,

C.