Fly Tying

2008 Tom Nixon Pattern Swap

Announcing a Tom Nixon pattern swap: Tom Nixon was one of the innovators of fly fishing for bass and panfish and was the author of "Fly Tying and Fly Fishing for Bass and Panfish," which was published in three editions. Rules for the swap:

1)Any Tom Nixon pattern or pattern that appears in his book (many but not all of those patterns originated with Tom)

2) Maximum 15 tyers, plus two extra flies. The extra flies will be auctioned off at the Gulf Coast Council FFF Expo & Conclave May 16 & 17, 2008 at the Lake Charles Civic Center in Lake Charles, LA. One set will be auctioned off in a fly box, the other in a display case.

3) Flies are due by April 30, 2008 to:

Mark Delaney

316 W. LaGrange St.

Lake Charles, LA 70605-1508

Mark's e-mail is [email protected]

For those unfamiliar with Tom Nixon patterns, several are available on the web at

http://cbfc0.tripod.com/tnswap.htm

http://cbfc0.tripod.com/2tnswap.htm

http://cbfc0.tripod.com/tnix3.htm

http://www.geocities.com/contrabandflycasters/tnflies.htm

http://laflyfish.com/flies/tom-nixon-spinner.php

If you are looking for a Tom Nixon pattern not listed at these site, please e-mail me and I'll see if I can get the pattern for you (I own all three editions of Tom's books, as well as several others that contain some of Tom's patterns).

Tis swap is being announced to the members of the Contraband Fly Casters of Lake Charles, the VFB e-mail list and the Fly Tying Forum, so don't be surprised if you see some names you might not recognize on the list of tyers.

Mark Delaney

livingbluegills,

The auction is a way to support the Gulf Coast Council of the Federation of Fly Fishers. the Gulf Coast Council is the newest full council in the Federation of Fly Fishers. It was started as a grassroots effort with about 30 people from across Texas, Louisiana and Mississippi, most of whom chipped in their own money at the first organizational meeting on August 5, 2006. Clubs were invited to join, and many of the clubs also donated monies. From 2006 to December 2007 the Gulf Coast Council operated as a sub-council of then Southern Council. At the recommendation of the Southern Council, the Gulf Coast Council was granted full council status late in 2007. Being a young council, we do not have very deep pockets...and we'd like to gather some money to expand into education and conservation projects. The main fund raiser we have is the Gulf Coast Expo & Conclave (the first one was held last year in May). This year's Gulf Coast Expo & Conclave is again in Lake Charles, LA (I get to sleep in my own bed...) on May 16 & 17. The ultimate use of any money generated in the auctions, will most likely be as matching money for grants in education and conservation from the FFF national organization.

We run the organization rather austerely. I'm the VP of Communications, and so responsible for the quarterly newsletter, and other communications. We spend less than $3 per issue of the newsletter on postage, since it is mainly distributed via e-mail and is placed on our newsletter webpage (also eliminates printing costs and allows the newsletter to be full color.)

At the moment the Gulf Coast Council has member clubs from Destin, Florida to San Antonio, Texas (unfortunately there are no fly clubs in southern Alabama as far as we can determine). At the moment we have one FFF supported conservation grant, but are looking to do more, and looking for suggestions from member clubs.

Please visit the Gulf Coast Council website at http://www.gulfcoastfff.org/ for more information. I'll be updating the site about conclave info,such as we currently have later this week.

Mark Delaney

Summary of tyers, SWAP IS FULL!!!

1. Moushkin - Yellow & Black, received

2. Fred H. - Bream Streamer, received

3. flymaker1 - Midnight Special

4. cornmuse - No fly yet

5. RDL - Crappie Mickie

6. Batman - White-tailed Grizzly, received

7. chemprof2001 (Mark Delaney) - No fly yet

8. Jeff Frye (VFB e-mail list) - No fly yet, dropout

9. Jim Collins (VFB e-mail list) - Beaux

10. Gary Smith (VFB e-mail list) - Warden's Worry, received

11. Kevin P - King of Waters

12. logy - Calcasieu Pigboat

13. luvinbluegills - 0.56%er, received 3/22

14. shenandoahangler - Cajun Coachman

15. Jim Phillips (VFB) - Zulu

SWAP IS FULL!!!

I normally don't choose a fly to tie until every one has picked their flies, unless someone requests a specific fly from me.

I also either photograph or scan the flies and put them up on the http://cbfc0.tripod.com/index2.htm site on the internet.

Mark Delaney

Mark,

Could you post a picture of yellow and black from an original Tom Nixon pattern? The one posted from a previous swap says that gold tinsel was used in the orignial pattern and that one could use either yellow floss or chenille. I would like to see what Tom used originally.

Thank you,

Moushka

I'm going to tie the white tail grizzly, on the recipe it has an option of using eyes or lead

with it and my version with painted lead eyes looks pretty good , so thats what I'm going with

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,B,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Moushka,

I looked at Tom's second edition, the Fly Tyer's Pattern Bible (published by the old Fly Tyerway back when), and one other source last night, but didn't find the Yellow and Black. I'll try the third edition of Tom's book (and hopefully the first as well, my wife moved it...most dangerous place for a book in my house is on a bookshelf, they get moved off the shelves to other shelves and places for no reason...wife is to blame this time. There are slight differences in the patterns in each edition, a few more and a few less.). I may not have an original pattern/picture if the pattern was one Tom published in a magazine (for some reason I don't have all the fly fishing fly tying magazines ever published, although the wife might think so.). I'll keep looking.

Mark Delaney