Fly Tying
monty3777

Your local fly shop

:yahoo: Spoiled here for here we have Tight Lines...great gear, great advice, great people, check it out....

www.tightlinesflyshop.com

:yahoo:

Tim invited me to tie there one night wihle I was in town for training. It was my first Beer and Bugs GREAT SHOP!!!!!!! :headbang:

The shop I hang out at in lower Mi is Lunkers. They have good fly shop. Joe and a guy everyone calls Dick (Im not sure why he is a nice guy! :hyst: ) they run it in the mornings I stop in for long lunches now and then. other than that we have Kevin Vandam's brothers place DnR sports. A ok selection but they normally do not have what I need. The manager is Nate. Great guy!

:dunno: And here I thought Day5 was his own fly shop :dunno: :lol: kidding...yes beer and bugs is awesome...and so is everything else there..lol

I pretty much am. I buy about 100 dollars worth of stuff form shops a year. If that

Mine is http://savageriveroutfitters.com. I am a contractor and if you check them out you will see that have vacation rentals. I did all the work you will see on the site. It is in Western Maryland on the famed Savage River. A blue ribbon trout stream. Taged as trophy trout waters. People come from all over the world, you should too. PM me and and I can show you around.

We also have the North Branch of the Potomac River. The only river east of the Missisippi too have Cutthroat Trout.

I learned every thing from John Bueter and he sold the store to

http://www.hanksflyfishing.com/

and they closed the local store because of

http://www.gandermountain.com/

now I buy my supplies at

http://www.gandermountain.com/

or

Midwest sports which does not have a web site and also doubles as a bait shop

Any ways good luck and tight lines rhino………….this is a :ripped: moment

i have a fly shop about 5 miles from my house, only problem is she does not carry a very wide selection of tying materials, fly tying in my area has seem to become sort of a lost art. then The famous Fran Betters owns a fly shop about 25 minutes from my house, on the west branch of the ausable. there is a few other fly shops around too, but i have never ventured into them.

chris

Fly Shop? What's a Fly Shop?

:blink: :dunno:

JStockard is pretty much my "local fly shop" because I happen to live in the area which has the fewest fly fishermen per capita, of anywhere in the known universe.

There is a BPS about 2hrs awayjust north of Montgomery, which has a fairly yawn-inducing selection (at least it was last time I was there, just before Christmas) and another BPS Worldwide Sportsman in Destin, 2-1/2 hrs in the other direction which has even less. There are rumors of other fly shops down on the coast but so far I haven't found them. I did pick up a few packages of very nice, long, well shaped saddle hackles last time I was in Destin. Those were a good find.

I'll put in a good word for Dave Goulet at Classic and Custom Fly Shop on the Farmington River in New Hartford, CT. Dave has been a commercial tier for over thirty years and the flies sold in his shop are tied by local guys and gals. Even if your shop might be a little light on materials don't discount the value of local knowledge and flies. Even though I tie, I'd still buy flies from Dave. I remember one of the last times I was in there, I complimented him on how nicely a bunch of parachutes were tied off and was promptly told it was a "trade secret" how the flies were tied off...my guess was on the post!!!...LOL

John

"I beg your pardon...I never promised you a rose garden" ;)

www.classicandcustomflyshop.com

I've been to tight lines in De Pere. Great shop. Great people that are very helpful and a very well stocked shop.

But for local shops I have http://www.littleforks.com/ not a huge shop but they have what you need for basic fishing flies. The guys there are great. Plus once you become a regular you get free wood duck and other feathers and furs. People bring them in and they put the stuff in a freezer. So far I've gotten lots of wood duck barred and unbarred flank feathers, red squirrel tail, bucktail, bunch of pheasant tails and a snowshoe hare foot. They're an Orvis dealer though so if you hate orvis your SOL. :P My town isn't the greatest sportsmans town (only have a pnd and muddy rivers) so I'm lucky to have it right here. Plus they'll order anything for you as long as they're suppliers have it.

Mine is Chris Helms' "Whitetail Tying Supplies" in Toledo. Get his catalog on line. Not fancy, but if he doesn't have it, you'll never need it. And, one of the nicest guys in flyfishing you'd ever want to meet. Question about materials ? Give him a call - He'll give you the straight scoop.

We also have a Cabela's about 20min away, and a BPS about the same in the other direction. Prefer Cabela's, but depends on what time of the day you go in.

I'm pretty lucky to be near several good fly shops. My favorite is Fly Shop of Tennessee in Johnson City, TN. They have a great selection and are great guys, always willing to help in any way they can. Another good one in Johnson City is Mahoney's Outfitters. Asheville, NC is a little further for me but is the home of Hunter Banks. I would happily recommend any one of these.

My shop is Colorado Freestone. Located in Howard, CO on the banks of the arkansas river. www.coloradofreestone.com I do trips on the Arkansas and the South Platte. Its also in conjunction with the America Cup International Fly Fishing Tournament. www.theamericacup.com

The Lakestream Fly Shop in Whitefish, MT is definitely not close to home (for me), but what a great staff.

I presented a tying workshop at the recent FFF Conclave and needed more Razor Foam to accommodate a couple of folks that registered onsite. The Lakestream Shop was out of stock, but Larry brought some Razor Foam from his personal tying kit at home and gave it to me - at no charge. That is customer service beyond all expectations.