Fly Tying
SnagmasterQueedo

good fly tying tools

I've got two cutting pieces that I always use instead of my tying scissors. One is a craft scissors that I use for cutting furs, yarns, etc. prior to tying them onto the hook. They also have a three slots near the fulcrum of the blade to cut wire. the other is a small florist's nips (essentially a small side cutter) for stouter wire. Paid so much for these: a total of $2.20 at the local Dollar Tree (dollar store) prevents abuse of the tying scissors!!

Mark

My wife picked me up this pair of scissors a while back, and I loved them, but they are a bit beefy for fine work:

IPB Image

Last week she brought me these home,

IPB Image

Both work great for me, are of very good quality, and offer excellent control.

I also keep some other tools on my bench that may be a bit unconventional, a full set of minature electronics tools (Dykes, needlenose, offset needlenose, mini linesman pliers, etc.)

A little (2") toolmakers drill press vise that comes in handy for odd jobs.

I just use small Plano boxes when I need bulk fly boxes.

I use English hackle pliers but just got some shrink tube and put it on one side of each pair.

Regarding the bobbin tension question, I have a Rite bobbin and like it quite well. However I agree with the earlier post that mentioned just spreading the legs on a 'normal' bobbin until the tension is satisfactory. I also bent both legs at an angle to the tip so it is more curved for my hand.

I use Griffin scissors and they are fine. If you take any scissors to the barber (who gets his sharpened regularly) you can usually get yours sharpened for about $10 - $15, if they are good ones in the first place.

I use a Wheatly clone for dry flies, but a C&F fly drying patch. The idea of putting the fly in the slit butt first really was clever.