Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jens Lund Adamsen

The Blue RAT

Hi guys

Blue RAT is the late Poul Jorgensens contribution to the RAT series. It was made to take the Atlantic salmon out of the Icelandic rivers and it did.

Sometimes you just succeed when sitting at the vice tying.

I am very pleased with the outcome a Blue Rat size 6.

I hope you like it as well.

post-3635-1201618673_thumb.jpg

Regards

Jens

Hello Jens

That´s a well tied Blue RAT and with the RIGHT colour blue.

Not only good for Iceland my friend but in Norway as well. It´s an excellent fly for august grilse runs in Orkla.

Skitt fiske!

//Tompa

Jens.. this is propably the best blue rat that I have ever seen... Blue color is awesome, head is beautiful, wing is perfect... one of your best flies ...

More more more....

ps. have you fished in Iceland??

Lovely fly. I notice that you have substituted a hair hackle collar for the grizzly hackle feather collar of Poul's orginal. Do you find this to be more effective in your waters?

Regards,

Hi Bruce, glad to see you here.

Jens, Poul was my neighbor. He lived bout 100 yards from us on the other side of the river.....Willowemoc Creek.....hence my handle. "Willowhead." Poul's house is gone now.....it had to be razesed after it was condemened, after the flood of June 28th, '06. I still feel that it was best that Poul passed shortly before that flood so that he did not have to be homeless after the flood. That is a very nice Blue Rat you've tyed there. I was very fortunate to be able to watch Poul tye flies many, many, many times between 1989 and when he passed. I have a lot of his materials because they were put on sale at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum to help raise money for the CFFC&M, as Poul wished. I also have two of his Atlantic Salmon Flies framed (the only two he invented/designed besides the hairwing Blue Rat), the Sir Conrad and his Golden Stack Wing. I also have bout 20 of his other fly designes/patterns/flies of all different types. I need to get those framed. He was a real gentleman, with a great sense of humor, and keen wit. When i was the program director for the Catskill Fly tyers Guild, every time i asked Poul to put on a program for us, all he asked was when and where. He was extremely generous with his time and knowledge. I miss Poul a LOT! We all do. Long live his memory. mark..... B)

Lovely fly. I notice that you have substituted a hair hackle collar for the grizzly hackle feather collar of Poul's orginal. Do you find this to be more effective in your waters?

Regards,

Thanks all for the comments

Hi Halcyon

Wrong! That is a Grizzle hackle feather used as collar (just good quality) :rolleyes:

hi Mark

As you know Poul was a Dane and he came to Denmark more times to tying events and also to the Danish Fly Festival. I meet him several times and got the honor of having him signing my copies of

his books also the last one he made for the Danish flytiers.

post-3635-1201717413_thumb.jpg

Hi Palli

No I have not been fishing in Iceland Yet! but if you offer to help me find a good (not too expensive) river and guide me a little I will gladly go in 2010.

Regards

Jens

Jens,

I stand corrected. I was fortunate enough to have tied with Poul on a number occasions and I had never seen him tie his fly with anything other than a webby grizzly hackle feather, hence my mistake. In any case it is a lovely fly and beautifully tied.

VERY GOOD Jens..... i have all of Poul's books.....all signed, and one even has a fly inside. C.S.&D. the new all color version. i'd prolly give my older version away, but he personalized that one for us, so we really treasure it. Dang i miss Poul. And i don't miss to many folks who are gone, that i've known. Which covers a whole lotta population.....he was so special. Tell me, is it true? IS Danish saliva really the best? :D Poul always said so. :hyst:

Boy, Hal had me me in a quandry there for a day or so. i even went to a chat room we both frequent, to see if he was there, (and he was), to see what he was thinkin'. I couldn't be sure if it was hair OR hackle. By the coloring it looked like hackle. But the pic is decieving.....and i think that's what messed us up. The wing and collar look almost to be the same material in the pic. Thankx for posting your fly. mark..... B)

VERY GOOD Jens..... i have all of Poul's books.....all signed, and one even has a fly inside. C.S.&D. the new all color version. i'd prolly give my older version away, but he personalized that one for us, so we really treasure it. Dang i miss Poul. And i don't miss to many folks who are gone, that i've known. Which covers a whole lotta population.....he was so special. Tell me, is it true? IS Danish saliva really the best? :D Poul always said so. :hyst:

Boy, Hal had me me in a quandry there for a day or so. i even went to a chat room we both frequent, to see if he was there, (and he was), to see what he was thinkin'. I couldn't be sure if it was hair OR hackle. By the coloring it looked like hackle. But the pic is decieving.....and i think that's what messed us up. The wing and collar look almost to be the same material in the pic. Thankx for posting your fly. mark..... B)

Hi Mark

Sure the best saliva is Danish. I for one have not been using anything else :rolleyes:

jens

Willowhead,

I picked up a copy of Fish & Fly today and there in the article about NE salmon fly tying is an out of focus picture of YOU by golly. I figure it is out of focus cause of your blurry eyes :hyst: Congrats on having your 15 seconds of fame buddy.