Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SteveGibson

Biot help

I've tied flies for a long time, but mostly saltwater stuff. So, I have little to no experience with many of the classic freshwater materials.

I want to tie some flies, using goose biots as the wing. Is there a tutorial somewhere that I can read?

Anyone here have any simple instruction?

This is what I do.

Strip two biots off the stem.

Cross one over the other in the appropriate length that you want, kind of forming an X with them.

Make two loose wraps over where they are overlapped.

Cut off the excess as close as you can.

If you are happy with how much or little excess you left, you can tighten down the thread wraps and tie off. If you are not happy, I gently pull on the tips until there is barely any excess showing, and tie off completely covering the excess with my thread. Its actually really simple, but it does take some getting used to. Here in the Northwest it seems that a lot of flies call for biots and I would say I use them on probably 60% of my nymphs as either tails, legs, wings, or antennae. This method works for all of those except maybe legs. Hope that makes sense, and helps.

Also check out this post from a swap thread, has the above mentioned and a second method.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=236271

you may want to check out turkey biots. Rene Harrop is quite innovative in using them and has at least one video showing many different flies using Turkey biot. If I have a chance I'll post a clip on tying a Blue wing olive with turkey biot

Bruce

I've only used biots for tails, antennae, or bodies.....never wings. But here's a tip for you for when you start doin' bodies with 'em. Tie in by the tip, with the "notch" to the left (or DOWN) if you want the smoothest body (you'll still get plenty of segmentation), possible, dries. Keep the "notch" to the right (or UP) if you want an even more pronounced segmentation and a fuzzier looking body, nymphs. You'll see the "notch" at the base or butt end of the biot. It's just a little indentation on one side of the base of the biot. Depending on how radical your placement is, (when tying in by the tip), your "notch will either be to the left or DOWN or to the right or UP. Left IS down.....right IS up. Stevie Wonder could figger it out. It's real simple. The difference is astounding and really makes your flies look correct accordingly. Fish prolly don't give a rats a**. :hyst: Good luck. mark..... B) btw Bruce, i have the Rene Harrop tapes, bought them from him in Idaho. They're GREAT! Even the Music KILLS. :D i SPECIALLY reccommend the one where each member of the family tyes a fly, and of course he tyes many. ;)

Thank you very much. You've helped me a lot!

Typically 'biots' refers to the front edge of the wing fibers which are quite stiff and somewhat wide. They are good for tails and antennae on nymphs and bodies on dry flies. For wings you usually use the back/trailing side of the feather which is thinner and more supple. These are called wing 'slips'. On the backside you will see a tougher part and then a break to a more flexible part. Only the flexible part is used in wet flies and wings on dry flies (hardly anymore). You select a section of these quills and cut them from the wing and tie them in. There will be several tutorials on the web about how to tie them in, ubt that is where you get them and how you use the feather. Hope this helps.