Fly Tying

Digital Camera's

To all you camera folks out there which of the below would you recommend to a new user.

Thanks,

Fatman

CANON PowerShot A310 Digital Camera $199.00

Digital Zoom: 5.1X

Features: Built-in Flash, DIGIC Imaging Processor, iSAPS Technology, Print and Share Button

Weight: 6.17 Oz

Auto Focus: 5-point AiAF/1-point AF (Fixed to center)

Connector Type: USB

Dimensions (WxDxH): 4.33" x 1.44" x 2.28" (excluding protrusions)

Display: 1.5" Low temperature polycrystalline silicon TFT color LCD

Effective Sensor Resolution: 3.2 MP

Focal Length: 5 mm

Focal Length Equivalent to 35mm Camera: 33 mm

Included Accessories: Interface Cable, 32 MB CompactFlash Card, Wrist Strap, 2 AA-type Alkaline Batteries

Lens Aperture: f/3.6 – 5.6

Media Capacity: CompactFlash Type I

Optical Sensor Resolution: 3.3 MP (total), 3.2 MP (effective)

Optical Sensor Type: Charged Couple Device (CCD)

Product Type: Digital Camera

Software: ArcSoft Camera Suite

________________________________________________________________________-

The KODAK EASYSHARE CX7300 Digital Camera is always ready to shoot, and with 3.2 MP you can make high-quality prints up to 11"x14".

Standard Features

CCD resolution 3.2 MP (2096x1560 pixels)

image resolution 3.2 megapixels (2080x1544 pixels)

image quality 3.2 MP -- best (print, enlargement)

2.8 MP -- best (optimized ration for 4"x6" prints, 3:2)

3.2 MP -- better (small prints)

0.8 MP -- good (email)

zoom

KODAK Lens 37 mm (35 mm equivalent)3X continuous digital zoom 3MP) [$129

focus distance 0.8 m (2.6 ft.) to infinity

display 1.6" (4 cm) TFT color display

viewfinder Reverse Galilean

aperture f/4.5

shutter speed 1/2 - 1/2300 seconds

ISO equivalent automatic 100-200 (still); 100-800 (video); 140 (flash)

white balance auto

flash mode auto, red-eye, fill, off

flash range 0.8-2.4 m (2.6-7.9 ft.)

self-timer 10 seconds

Performance Features

scene/other modes auto, night, video

color mode color, black and white, sepia

light metering method automatic: TTL-AE matrix metering, center-weighted

exposure compensation +/- 2.0 EV in 0.5 EV step increments

exposure control programmed AE

click to capture <0.7 seconds

shot to shot <2.0 seconds interval (until 3 images)

movie mode 30 seconds, no audio recording

movie image resolution 320x240 pixels at 15 fps

Ease of Use Features

capture mode capture always ready

dedicated buttons delete, Share, review, menu, flash/information

review mode delete, 2X or 4X magnify, album, slide show, protect, multi-up

video out available through printer dock (NTSC or PAL selectable) software KODAK EASYSHARE Software compatibility KODAK EASYSHARE Camera Dock 6000, KODAK EASYSHARE Printer Dock 6000

Additional Features

storage internal storage: 16 MB internal memory

external storage: SD/MMC card expansion slot

power options optional KODAK EASYSHARE Docks with Ni-MH rechargeable battery pack; 2 AA KODAK Digital Camera Batteries (ZR6); 2 AA lithium or Ni-MH batteries or 1 CRV3 lithium battery

image file format Still: JPEG/EXIF v2.2; Video: Quicktime MOV

interface USB compliant, KODAK EASYSHARE 6000 Series Docks

lens protection cover glass

tripod mount 1/4 in. standard

weight without batteries: 147 g (5.2 oz.)

dimensions WxHxD: 103.5x65x40.2 mm (4.1x2.6x1.6 in.)

warranty 1 year

I don't know too much about those cameras, but if you're planning on taking pic's of your flies you need a macro capability on the camera. This enables you to focus for those close-ups. I have a Nikon Coolpix 3100 and I can full frame a #20 dryfly. But the Nikons are more $ than you've listed.

I'm dont know a whole lot about dig cams but the one i have is a samsung i got at walmart for about $119 its a 2.0 MP and has 2x zoom and also has the macro settig for pics of flies. I'm sure its not as nice as some of the ones out there but you asked about a good "starter" dig cam and this is a decent cam for a low price.

SD

Dont know to much about cameras but I just got my first ever digital camera recently and I love it. It is an Olympus 3.2 megapixil. It zooms and has a video cam in it and all. It wasnt to expensive compared to alot of the other ones. It was 155 bucks at Super Walmart in VA. Id say for good pics get atleast a 3 megapixil or better. Good luck on your choice ttyl and tight lines.-Tim wink.gif

PS:here is a link to pics I have taken with my cam. http://www.f150online.com/galleries/albumview.cfm?num=6113

Research the Pentax WR33. I sold an Olympus to get it. It water resistant and fits easily in a vest pocket and it doesn't have those battery and time wasting electric shutter covers like another very popular brand. Doing macro's is easy and painless too. The biggest problem is that the 'big box' stores don't carry them. Most GOOD camera shops do though.

Let me share two suggestions regarding digital cameras.

While digital zoom is nice, optical zoom is nicer. If you can get a camera with 3x (or better) optical zoom it will make a greater difference in your picture quality then a similar digital zoom. I used to own a Canon PowerShot A20 (out of production) and my son bought a Canon PowerShot A60 back around Christmas. I've got nothing but good things to say about these cameras.

Okay, the next suggestion sort of counterdicts the "nothing but good things to say". On my first visit to Wyoming last summer, I lost my footing on the upstream side of a deep hole. I slipped into the water and the A20 was in my vest pocket. As soon as I recovered and got back on dry land, I pulled out the A20, pulled the batteries right away and removed the CF memory card. The pictures on the card were fine, but the camera was trashed. It is sitting on the shelf above this computer because I just can't bear to throw it out. The guy at the camera shop said that for what it would cost to fix the camera, I would be better off buying a new one. Makes me wish I had extended the warrenty / service contract one month before the trip.

So my suggestion is, if you can find a water proof camera (or one with enough water resistance do survive a fall into a river) it deserves consideration. I would love to find a waterproof with at least 3x Optical Zoom, Macro mode, 2.1 MegaPixal (or better?) that was in my price range. I'll check out the Pentax that was mentioned.

The other thing to consider in a digital is battery life. My brother in law (the artist) was looking at one of the Sony's that writes directly to a CD. I talked him into the Canon PowerShot A60 in part because one uses much less battery writing to CF memory cards that one does writing to CD (or floppy for that matter). I also put him on to some great NiMH rechargable AA batteries and a great charger from Maha. My son bought this charger as well and it has been great.

Ken S.

P.S. They do make a waterproof enclousure for the Canon PowerShot, but it costs nearly as much as the camera. That ain't going to happen.

I like the Coolpix too. Also the Olympus line.

There's a couple of things to point out though. Get the most megapixels you can - that means better resolution. And take look at your printer - see what the maximum resolution you have there is. It makes no sense to have a printer that can't print good resolution and a camera that gives you more than you can use. The difference in price is usually a function of the megapixels.

Anticipating upgrading your printer to match better resolution delivered by more megapixels is a good idea if you think you're going to like it.

Lastly, you might take a look at the waterproof digital camera offered on Sierra's web site - http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/ba.../qx/product.htm

I use a Canon A70, in conjuction with the Canon waterproof housing specifically designed for that camera. It has 3x optical zoom, as well as a macro focus feature which allows me to take photos 2" away from the subject. The maximum resolution is 3.2 megapixel, good enough to publish a full page photo in a magazine without any noticable differences from 35mm slide film.

I've always used Canon cameras, SLR as well as digital, and have nothing but good things to say. The A60, as kschu said below may be a great option for you. This model has the same zoom and macro features as the A70 but in 2.0 megapixel format. Unless you're planning on publishing some photos, which could be an option wink.gif , you really don't need more than 2 mpixel.

Good luck on whatever you decide. Cheers,

Thanks for all your inputs, now to do the homework and figure out which one to get.

Tight Lines,

fatman

FWIW, I purchased a Canon Powershot A200 last Summer for the express purpose of photographing flies, and for that purpose it's worked pretty well. I recently inhereted a much better camera and don't have a use for the Canon anymore, but the features are conducive to your intended use. I'd sell the Canon on e-bay but I'd never make what I want for it!

Good luck...