Fly Tying
SnagmasterQueedo

Size #22 adams with wings

Hi Everyone,

I'm doing midges and usually I don't tie wings on flies smaller than size #20 but I was doing these 22's and decided to add wings to some. I had to break out the maginifying glasses for these and I used to didn't have to do that up until last year ....sigh... price you pay for wisdom I guess. And I just ordered a clamp on magnifying glass form Cabelas. Anyone else have to use magnification now when you didn't used to have to?

post-13716-1202258437_thumb.jpg

I haven't used magnification yet. But its getting to the point where I am tying the smaller flies more by "feel" than by sight. I did ask my dentist about the binoculars he uses. (They seem perfectly suited for tying.) The price tag, however, was way too heavy for my pocketbook. I will be watching here to see what other tyers have tried and liked/disliked. By the way, Snag, that's a fine-looking tiny fly.

bought my first pair of reading glasses last week,went from bass bugs on #4 stinger hooks to #20 ants,beetles,and adams.

Im with you on that..............I had perfect eyesight until I reached the grand old age of 45 I tied for some time without any magnification until I gave up especially doing the realistics. I now have a large daylight magnifier over my vise.......................its great..

Oh the 22 is a great tie by the way

Mike............................ B)

I first noticed I needed glasses around 45, fly tying wasn't a problem, tieing them on was. The fly is supposed to be fuzzy not the hook. Since then I either use flipdowns (when I am away from home,) or an Optivisor. I have stepped up the Optivisor to a three, and they work great.

Nice job. I'm impressed you were able to get a picture of it. I have a heck of a time getting clear photos of anything smaller than #14.

Thanks for the responses guys. I don't often tie below #18 as I shy away from using smaller than that as a rule since i've yet to catch a fish on anything smaller than #18 and I also don't do any orders below that. But I had decided to try them (again) after reading an article on fishing midges. There aren't any trout here on the western side of TN unfortunately so i'm confined to warm water fishing. I go to the Smoky mountains each spring for the brook trout there and have been wanting to catch one on a #2 weight rod and #22 fly.

But earlier I bought some 1.5x reading glasses and have been finding myself having to use them.... let me rephrase that... more convienient to use them :D during certain things like aligning the scissors tip up on that one stray hackle or hair or when divideing wings and getting in between the hackle wing fibers.And when tying the #22's I defintely needed them for that while adding the wings and that got me to wondering how everyone else was fareing concerning that and how they were dealing with it.

Rock and British,thanks for the tying compliments, I had picked one fly out of the bin from the ones I had made to photograph and then dropped it on the floor and for the life of me couldn't find the ^%$$ thing lol. So I got another one. Glanceing at it before I took a picture (without the glasses) it looked like a pretty decent fly and it wasn't until after I saw it blown up on the picture how bulky the head was, out of align some of the hackle was and how thick the body looked in the middle after seeing it zoomed in so i'm going to use that to help me tie better midges. Especially the body...hook gap is everything when this small.

Rock.... I just ordered a magnifyer which has a clamp on adjustable arm from Cabela's and after it gets here and I get to use it i'll let you know what I think of it. It was only $59 and also has a light and all of the reviews it had were very good ones so I decided to give it a shot. The reading glasses work pretty well except they have about a 8 inch focal point and when I turn my head from the fly to look for material or some such everything then becomes a blur which is disorienting and annoying.

Old hat,thanks yeah, I was surprised the picture turned out this well. Until joining this site I hadn't taken pictures of flies so wasn't sure how my camera would do.

My camera is a Fujifilm Finepix 5700 7.5 megapixel with 10x optical zoom which I bought a couple of years ago at Walmart for about $300 and it has proven to be a fine camera for all kinds of pictures.

It has a macro feature for close in shots but also has a "super" macro feature for especially close shots and in that mode has a focal point length down to 0.4 inch and that's what I used to take the picture.

Oh yeah, i'm 43 so it seems thats about the magic age to the tide turning when it comes to eyes.

"...and then dropped it on the floor and for the life of me couldn't find the ^%$$ thing lol..."

That was one of the reasons I first added reading glasses to my kit bag, could not find hooks or small flies I dropped on the floor. Now, it is 1.5+ glasses and LOTS of light.

Russ

Very nice Adams.

I usually do not wing patterns smaller than #20 (except for parachutes which are easy). That is quite an acomplishment for a size 22.

I picked this up at Bass Pro for about $79 and it has helped 100%. I used to use a $14.95 magnifier light from staples, good magnification but poor light. The quality of light makes the difference for old eyes (I'm 52).

post-1314-1202310278_thumb.jpg

Conehead

Nice tiny tie !!

I figured out that I needed magnification. When I was spending more time tying on flies than using them. That led to using the old Flip Focals for my tying at the vise and on the water. Unfortunately this has happened in my 30s

Taking photos of my flies also has pointed out things about them that was not clear to me before.

Hi Cone,

It's a combo light/magnifying lens sort of like you have but the light is built around the lens and the lens is a little larger.... I believe it is 8 inches in diameter. Since you've had such good luck with yours i'm looking forward to when mine arrives and I get to try it.

Hey Snagmaster,

Once I started using a magnifier lens, I was able to tie #22, #24, #26, and even #32s. Sometimes the trout around here get picky, and the 32's fool them all the time.

With a bright light and a white profile plate, it makes a world of difference.

Now for the stream, I had to pick up a clip on magifier to tie on the #26 and smaller. I am fortunite, that even at age 52 I can tie on a #24 with out help (but not at dusk).

Once I hit 60, I'l need to take along a young apprentice just to tie my flies on. LOL

Enjoy that new light, It's like Christmas again waiting for it to arrive.

Conehead

Hello Snagmaster, thats some good looking tying. I guess that we are all getting old and blind, I have been behind the reading glasses for a few years now, and I'm just 44. I just got back into tying less than a year ago, but I have had to rely on the glasses for my airbrush work for a while now. I always add wings on my tiny flies because I think that they look pretty cool. Tying hackle tip wings is a challenge even on a 16 or 18, but size 20 or smaller can be a total pain, but its fun :D I have only winged down to a 24, but I,m going smaller a soon as I remember to order some hooks. Try some hair wings sometime if you haven't yet. I tied a couple size 24 Royal Wulffs that was quite a challenge. Tying the herl by just the tips to achieve the body that I wanted was harder than the hair. I dont think anyone has broke that many pieces of peacock herl ever, not to mention picking through a little pinch of calf hair for just the right hairs to try and stack :blink: oh well... I guess I'm going blind and crazy. I wont even get into discussing a 5x tippet at dusk.

Take Care,

That tye is very impressive. I started wearing glasses at the age of 10, so I have never not had them. As far as magnification I would highly recommend that you use what ever works and is attached to your head. The reasoning on this is that the distance is consistently the same all the time. Good places to look for them is at hobby shops, craft stores, fabric stores, $1 stores. They come in a huge price range. I found that with a free standing magnifier the object I was magnifying changed as I moved my head back and forth through the magnified range. Course I was also new to tyeing and that may have contributed to the "problem".

The real benefit that I have gotten from this is that I could never tye a flared tail on drys. With magnification I could see the little ball of thread that I was supposed to have. That helped a lot.