Fly Tying

Apparently, the New Mexico Department of Fish and Game has started stocking Tiger Muskies in a couple New Mexico lakes to control (ie. EAT) the goldfish that are taking over there. I have heard that they are great fun to catch. Do any of you have any experience with these hybrid fish? What's the best way to fish for them in a lake?

This makes it easier to get the right equipment because now I can fish for Pike on the Rio Grande and Tiger Muskies in a couple lakes.

Dont know about foolin them with flies but here in the great lakes most guys ethier troll big and i mean BIG minnow style body baits for them. Alot of these lures like the husky jerk are a full 9" long.

Wish i could help out more but all i can offer is go BIG!

If I get a chance to get up there this year, I'll tie up some pike flies. I've never been to the lake so I don't know if there is any structure to work. We'll see.

Tigers are very fast growing and agressive as hell. Fast strips and noisy flies are the ticket. I have used 8 wts. for muskie and tigers, but to get a good sized fish interested you have to toss some seriously big stuff, therefore a 10 wt. is a much better tool for the job. Those big flies have a lot of wind resistance too, and you will find a tip flex preferable to moderate actions.

We have a few ponds with Tigers in them...

I've caught a few but all more or less accidentally.

I can tell you that you can't tie a fly thats too big for them, I took one on a 12" inch herring pattern (I was just practicing casting for a striper trip).

Saltwater patterns, particularly large topwater patterns (for the most fun and explosive action), tossed on a fairly heavy rod are effective. I've always had the best luck with red/white and yellow perch patterns.

There are some muskie around here but I never fish for them. I missed one last year smallmouth fishing with a big popper. The Clinch river near my house has several in it but lived here all my life and never caught one. I'm not sure if they are tiger or just plain musky i believe plain. I have seen them, the old timers that fish for them around here say they are a 1 in 10,000 cast fish. Even if you know where they are. I have a friend that is a excellent flyfisherman and he dedicated a whole year to catch ing muskie he bought a 9wt and lots of big poppers and streamers he caught 3 all year i believe. No to count some massive smallies on the side while trying for the toothy critters.

I'm not too certain, but if you could make a goldfish imitation.. like from a herring pattern or something for deep sea stuff, just change the colors a little, i bet they would work. especially since quemado and blue water are just over-flowing with goldfish now

I haven't fished for the new tiger musky hybird, but the mepps syclops size 3 works great when trolled, vertically jigged, or used as a countdown lure for regular musky. If musky like it, the tiger hybird should as well.