Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishaholic69

bobbin recommendation?

I got this cheap bobbin with no ceramic coating. I can tie with it but can't pull on the thread to feed more like the guys do in the tying videos I see. If I tugg on the bobbin when I run out of thread it just snaps the thread. will any ceramic bobbin work? seems like mine could work as its not really rough on the edges but seems to me the metal prongs that hold the spool just won't give enough to let the thread spool spin smoothly. maybe this isn't the problem? I just don't wanna buy a cheap ceramic boobin to have the same thing happen. any suggestion? say in the 15 dollar or less range? maybe I can bend the prongs out a lil on this one? ceramic is prolly better tho.

Like Roy said, bending the arms will help, or try pulling straight down so the thread has less chance of touching the sides.

that said, check out JStockards.com for a Ceramic Tip Bobbin.

That bobbin has pink tips, i thought my replacement purple tip was girly.....I've been out-girled, and not even by Day5!!! ;)

IPB Image

also try adding a dab of vasoline to each side of the plastic spool .it cuts down on drag alets it glide.

You'll need to learn how to adjust your bobbin's tension. ........(and actually, just so you know.....what we commonly refere to as a bobbin.....is actually not a bobbin. It's a bobbin holder. And what we commonly refere to as a spool, is in reality, a bobbin). When you break your thread, consider yourself lucky. If you learn something from that.....you won't have to keep doin' it. You dig? Same thing as when your wraping thread. You break it, you know where that breaking point is. Now, you can stop doin' it. You just have to pay the same dues we all did. Try them all out and find out what works for you. Then sell, swap or give away the ones you don't like using. This is NOT a hobby, no matter what you've been told. It COST to learn. And you should NEVER stop learning...........so get used to spending money. Aint no biggie.....they'll print more. Not to be an ass about it. I'm just rying to get you to understand that there is an INVESTMENT to be made. "Only the birds sign for free." Payin' dues is litterall and figurtive. Spend $100 on different bobbins and find out what REALLY works for you.........you'll NEVER have to spend it again. You dig? mark..... B)

Yep - definitely start with bending the arms out. I like mine set pretty loose and adjust tension by "palming" the spool as needed.

On ceramic tip bobbins - most I've seen are pretty good, but I've run across a couple that were actually quite horrible. They would fray thread within just a few turns. I looked at the ceramic tips under a high power magnifying lens and the ceramic inserts were not smooth at all. I'd say they had a very pronounced roughness to them - exactly the opposite of what you'd expect a ceramic tip to provide. They weren't chipped or damaged, just unpolished. My guess is that these tip inserts somehow missed the final grinding/polishing steps (if that's how they're made).

Give whatever bobbin you decide to buy a quick test drive and make sure it's not a "dud" like these two were.

thanks for the tips guys. I will try a ceramic bobbin out and see how it goes.. geez.... I wish I had $100 just to spend on bobbins. that was kinda the reason of this post. to get a good one recommended to me so I don't have to buy junk over and over.. you dig?

I ordered some materials from jstockard tonight and grabbed up a 3 inch doctor slick bobbin in the process. seemed the bottom prongs look far apart unlike the 4 inch which looked exactly like mine but with the ceramic. maybe this will be better? let ya know. I also got 2 hares masks olive and natural since they were on sale and I got natural partridge for soft hackle wet flys. I got some pearl over white chenile and some white strung marabou for a baitfish/minnow wooley buggers I am gonna make and also some red floss for royal wulffs and coachmans. grabbed some white cdc to try that out also on a few emergers and a pack of doll eyes for some zonker patterns I am gonna pound out! I think I am well set till next time.

now that I got a better bobbin I was like who cares if I break the other one. so I take it and bend the dog snot out of it. it doesn't break. but now it feeds perfect with no fails from even 6/0 thread! at least now I know I goit 2 bobbins lmao!

Stockard has got some Dr Slick bobbins with ceramic inserts for about $10. The smaller hooks you dress the more important a good bobbin becomes. They make bobbins especially for tying small. I use my ss bobbins for wire and floss and my ceramics for thread. Don't forget to have a couple of extra bobbin threaders stashed.