Fly Tying
sherrib

Etiquette

Okay I may be opening a can of worms here (no pun intended) but I have been fishing an area that is pretty crowded on the weekends. One particular place has an area where there is some rocks in the stream creating about 5-6 side by side riffles. It is a popular spot. Usually there are anywhere from 5-6 people fishing the spot, each fishing a different riffle. Anyway saturday I was fishing just a little downstream waiting a turn (wich was awhile) there were 5 guys there (like I said each fishing a different rock/riffle. When two of the guys moved on I moved up and began fishing one of the riffles. The gentlemen opposite of me said "unbelievable" I thought he was talking about the fish people were catching. He then asked where I was from and I told him. He then asked if this was how the fishing always was and I said pretty much (again thinking he was commenting on the fish) He then preceded to tell me that he couldn't believe that people moved in on people like they had today and that I was one of the rudest people he had ever met. In all actuality I had allowed more room for him than had the previous other 2 fisherman. I was fishing a different riffle than him also. I also was catching fish and he wasn't. Anyway the question is, was this rude? I assumed it was not as this spot is always crowded and everyone takes turns and fishes a seperate rock. But maybe I am wrong. Feel bad for it but want to know what is proper for future reference. Thanks Sherri :(

Get a 120,000 volt stun gun and zap anyone that gets lippy with ya :headbang:

I'll throw down with a loud mouth. You did the right thing. Some people are born grumpy,get out of line.....and need slapped up :boxed:

Brent

Sounds to me like someone who didn't want others to catch "his fish" got bent out of shape because someone else was doing better than he was.

Assuming you each had enough room to cast and weren't drifting through each other's riffle, I see nothing wrong. I'd love to see him fish in Allegan!

I see nothing wrong either go buy a crank style telephone next time you see him down there go about 20 feet from him throw a couple of leads in the water and start cranking the fish will rise to the top and float down river 50 yards then swim away fisherman leave half hour later fish are back in spot with no one there but you :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Thanks for the info, thought I was doing okay but wanted to make sure I hadn't been rude. I was stunned when he started mouthing. I have had other people get right next to me (within 2 feet) and cast and haven't said a word, I just usually will move down a bit. Thanks again, Sherri

... fishing an area that is pretty crowded on the weekends... It is a popular spot. Usually there are anywhere from 5-6 people... He then preceded to tell me that he couldn't believe that people moved in on people like they had today ... In all actuality I had allowed more room for him than had the previous other 2 fisherman... I also was catching fish and he wasn't.

By what I can read between the lines you were unfortunately the proverbial straw that broke the camels back and he decided to lash out at you when he was just having a bad day in general. His back was up before you even started moving and he would have percieved an imposition regardless.

Why people get angry when their fishing is a mystery to me. You're fishing, not at work with your boss increasing your workload exponentially. Some people need to remember that it is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than speak and erase all doubt. :D

Well, as much as I think you didn't do anything wrong, remember that every water is different and different days or months can mean different things. For example, I fished this fall so close to other guys that we had to wait for each other's drift to end to cast again. Of course, these were forum members that invited me into the overcrowded water to fish with them. Guys were lined up about 15 feet from each other all down the stream. Flash forward about a month later, same water, same run. I'm fishing with just 1 other friend and having no luck at all. We are the only 2 guys in site. Then, here comes 4 other guys. they have the whole area to choose from, instead the come right to were we are fishing and start catching fish. They were as close as I was to other people a month earlier, but since the place was wide open AND they were catching fish, i wasn't so pleased that they fished so close to me. of course, i didn't get mouthy with them, but that's not my style. i just fished on and watch them pull in all MY fish! :(

Then, there are some creeks i fish that i wouldn't even dare wade too close to someone else. i'll get out and walk on the shore and make sure i get out early, and step back in way up/down stream from them.

Different waters, different approaches.

Of course, with a name like Sherri, I'm assuming you are a woman. It was probably hard for them to be out-fished by a woman in water they had already been skunked in. ;) especially if they weren't fly fishing!

Good luck, stay safe!

That's why I fish where I do - Small streams. Area I fish for Brookies is pretty tough to get into, brush wise, and don't think I've seen more than dozen guys in there since High School (1965).

I think you acted just fine in that situation, there will always be some grumps, no matter what the sport. Don't worry about it.

Well, as much as I think you didn't do anything wrong, remember that every water is different and different days or months can mean different things. For example, I fished this fall so close to other guys that we had to wait for each other's drift to end to cast again. Of course, these were forum members that invited me into the overcrowded water to fish with them. Guys were lined up about 15 feet from each other all down the stream. Flash forward about a month later, same water, same run. I'm fishing with just 1 other friend and having no luck at all. We are the only 2 guys in site. Then, here comes 4 other guys. they have the whole area to choose from, instead the come right to were we are fishing and start catching fish. They were as close as I was to other people a month earlier, but since the place was wide open AND they were catching fish, i wasn't so pleased that they fished so close to me. of course, i didn't get mouthy with them, but that's not my style. i just fished on and watch them pull in all MY fish! :(

Then, there are some creeks i fish that i wouldn't even dare wade too close to someone else. i'll get out and walk on the shore and make sure i get out early, and step back in way up/down stream from them.

Different waters, different approaches.

Of course, with a name like Sherri, I'm assuming you are a woman. It was probably hard for them to be out-fished by a woman in water they had already been skunked in. ;) especially if they weren't fly fishing!

Good luck, stay safe!

Thanks for the insight, he was fly fishing too. I was being careful to only fish the riffle opposite him and not letting my drift get near him, we were probably 10-12 feet apart or more, not good at measuring. Guess part of what hurt my feelings was that there had been 2 other fisherman closer to him than me and he didn't say a word to them. But anyway I think next time I fish there I will steer clear of that spot unless it is wide, wide open. The last time I fished there the people fishing took turns and invited me in and there were way more there than this time. Like you said different times different measures. Sherri P.S. Your right I am a woman :hyst:

If you fish at night you are less likely to run into situations like that. Some places just get crowded during the day and I usually quit fishing when the dayshifters start showing up.

duckydoty

All great answers. Both Wicked and Oatka are right on. In Michigan(except directly below dams) people don't squeeze in , unless they want to get wet. On the other hand it depends on when and where your fishing. Some Creeks in PA are really bad with elbow to elbow, as is New York. The time of year and day of week play a role as well. Obviously , in regards to the two guys and him not saying anything(probably get his :butt: handed to him) I also agree with other comments about you being a female. Either way, it sounds like it was him, not you.

P.S. When I do "walk in" on someone I normally ask if its alright , sort of feel them out, oh that sounds obsene :hyst: anyway, asking would be the best way to avoid those situations :dunno:

my 2 cents Bruce

I will walk 1/2 mile around people when the river has hardly anyone in it. That is the type of water (uncrowded) and courtesy I seek too. If I am the only fisherman in sight, until some dipstick decides he likes the looks of the hole I am fishing, he will take some abuse.

No, he will take a LOT of abuse.

On crowded water, I just shrug about any transgression off, but usually don't last long till I seek some solitude anyhow, I don't care how much the fish are stacked up, I don't want to stack up too.

All great answers. Both Wicked and Oatka are right on. In Michigan(except directly below dams) people don't squeeze in , unless they want to get wet. On the other hand it depends on when and where your fishing. Some Creeks in PA are really bad with elbow to elbow, as is New York. The time of year and day of week play a role as well. Obviously , in regards to the two guys and him not saying anything(probably get his :butt: handed to him) I also agree with other comments about you being a female. Either way, it sounds like it was him, not you.

P.S. When I do "walk in" on someone I normally ask if its alright , sort of feel them out, oh that sounds obsene :hyst: anyway, asking would be the best way to avoid those situations :dunno:

my 2 cents Bruce

If it were not crowded I absolutely would not go near anyone, I like the solitude as well, I wish it were not always as crowded, this is directly below a dam. There is very seldom a place that has absolutely no one unless it is very cold or on a weekday, I go every chance I get even if it means having to clear the ice out of the eyes of my rod. Although cold then I don't have to worry about crowding. Thanks for the info, Sherri