Fly Tying
BigEHokie

Tied my first pheasant tail nymph.

Well, I've only been tying for about a week now. I first tackled the wooly bugger and decided to try the pheasant tail nymph next. I struggled with this fly a bit more than the bugger. I realize it's probably an easy fly but it gaves me fits. The biggest problem I had was with proportions of the pheasant tail fibers.

The first one I tied, became an unraveled mess as I was trying to finish off the fly and had to be tossed. The 2nd one I completed, but it looked ugly as heck and I had to cut off the legs that were supposed to be there. I'll keep this one and see if any fish are fooled at all. My third attempt was the best of the three (although still not perfect). Here it is, I'll take any all advice given. This is only the fifth fly I've ever attempted to tie. Thanks in advance!

post-13752-1202701444_thumb.jpg

post-13752-1202701489_thumb.jpg

Keep it up :headbang:

You asked for some comments so I'll chime in. I think the abdomen might be a titch too long. It prob only needs to be about half the size of the one in the picture. However, your fly is sure to catch some fish - don't go and become a conformist on me!

Also, why the stuff jutting out from the top of the fly towards the eye hook? A cleaner PTN prob wouldn't have that either.

O.K., enough of that crap. Tie 'em like you like 'em!!!! You're doing great

Also, why the stuff jutting out from the top of the fly towards the eye hook? A cleaner PTN prob wouldn't have that either.

Those are supposed to be legs as identified in the DVD I'm using to learn to tie. Mine don't look quite as good as the DVD's, so that might be throwing you off a bit.

Also, I had to use a size 12 x2 length hook to tie, so that screwed up my proportions a bit I think. This was the only nymph hook I had that came in the kit. I'll need to go out and buy some better sized hooks.

Thanks for the comments!

not bad for your 1st few! if anything it will catch some fish! but like said above there are some cons of the fly that you could improve on next time.. the thorax is kinda longer than normal. shorten it up a bit and you should be ok. also like dude said above, less legs next time and almost stroke um back and wrap um. like this. post-12314-1202707630_thumb.jpg then you are all good! sometimes people put the legs or (wings) as I called um at 1st (lol) under the fly or some don't put any at all. great first ties. remember the more you make the better you get.

Your abdomin, rear part is short, and the thorax front part under the wing case and the wing case itself is too long. It doesn't matter what hook your using, the proportions will be based on shank lenght. Rule of thumb is 2/3 abdomin, 1/3 thorax. Your problme may be that the pheasant tail is too short, and your running out. Use the longest flues you can for a size 12 2xl hook, and don't use too many, about 6 is good.

I agree with the comments about the abdomen/thorax proportions. BUT, those guys will catch you a few fish.

You should be able to find some charts/literature showing the correct proportions for different type of flies on the net. Maybe someone here can come up with a link. After tying a few, you will see them looking better proportion-wise.

But a word here - don't think your flies have to look EXACTLY like the pictures in the books. As you look at more and more patterns (Hare's Ear Nymph, for example) you will see quite a difference in the looks of the pattern between one tyer and another, but they will all catch fish. Have fun with it, don't be afraid to substitute materials if you don't have the exact one called for. Fish really don't know the difference between the hair from the belly of a yearling Tibetan Yak and something a little more common and easier to obtain.

(I've always had trouble getting those Yaks to stand still)

Hey, just caught my mistake. The thorax (the part towards the eye hook) is what should be reduced. I called it the abdomen. Sorry :unsure:

O.K., show us your next nymph!

It will definitely fish. Keep working, I think that in the early stages you are showing some great promise of a bright future tying flies. I wish my first couple flies looked as good as yours. Keep it up! :yahoo:

Very good. You will be better than any of us in no time if you keep it up.

I have sent a picture of a legless pheasant tail nymph with a glo-brite green body. The proportions are perfect. There your reference.

Happy tying,

Jason.

post-13469-1202735088_thumb.jpg

post-13469-1202735310_thumb.jpg

Try some with legs some without,Some bigger some smaller and don't worry about Ugly. Most fish won't care try them all till you find what fish like then tie more of those. For a 1st fly it looks like it should work..

I think monty meant Thorax being too long, as it is. Don't sweat it ,tie a dozen or more and listen to what the guys are saying and look closely at fishaholics photo. Your doing fantastic for only tying a 1/2 dozen :thumbsup:

I have sent a picture of a legless pheasant tail nymph with a glo-brite green body. The proportions are perfect. There your reference.

Great pictures, thanks for the reference!

Thanks for the support and advice guys, I appreciate it.

While I do like the DVD I have (Whitetail Outfitters Beginner's Fly Tying Kit, with Lefty Kreh) that's one thing that it certainly didn't cover was correct proportions. Think I'm gonna look into some of the books identified in the stickiy posts in the Beginner's Forum. Hopefully instructions from those will help me with items the video doesn't cover.

Thanks again everyone.

just looking back in my files and heres a couple I tied when I started. all caught fish. 1st 2 are pheasent tails. one is a regular pheasent tail and it caught me lots of fish. other one is with a beadhead and peacock flashback material over the pheasent tail wingcase! caught some fish also. your will too. just keep at it and make a few and then repost you fly and you will see a 100% improvement. then you can always look back and laugh at your 1st flies. heres the 1st ever fly I tied a hares ear haha or what I thought and heres one I made pretty recently. a major improvement. keep it up!!!

pheasent tails

post-12314-1202786498_thumb.jpg

post-12314-1202786519_thumb.jpg

hares ears ( guess what one was 1st?)

post-12314-1202786852_thumb.jpg

post-12314-1202787284_thumb.jpg