Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chasely

First Adams...ever

So this is my first Adams, and winged fly.

Let me know what you think.

On first look it looks like I could use a little more body on the thing, and maybe shorter hackle. Let me know what you guys think. I can take criticism!

IPB Image

Chase

I just learned to tie this properly last week (in a class) so have been focusing on these of late.

You're right about the hackle being too long.

To be extra picky, the body should taper up from the tail... meaning it ends up sorta carrot sharped with the point at the tail.

The tail could be a little fuller, as well. Depends a bit on how fast of water you fish.

The wings... the trickiest part, I think... are very nicely barred and set.

If I showed you my first one, from a year or so ago, you'd have a good laugh. (I abandoned the pattern after one, until the past week.)

All in all, this'll fish! Maybe just trim some hackle from the bottom.

Thanks for the pointers.

Could have sworn my hackle gauge said it was the right size...but oh well.

I'm also aware that it should taper, but my dubbing skills aren't quite up to snuff.

Thanks for the pointers.

Could have sworn my hackle gauge said it was the right size...but oh well.

I'm also aware that it should taper, but my dubbing skills aren't quite up to snuff.

It's a *little* bit long. Not ridiculously so.

And it could be that your hackle gauge is right on with Mustad, but not Tiemco or vice-versa. The more you use it, the better of a feel you'll get.

Keep at it!!

As for dubbing, dedicate yourself to tying up 20 gold rib hares ears in the next two days... you'll be aces at the end of that.

I think the tail is plenty full

here's the way I was taught to dub

pick out as much as you think you need.......then put two thirds of it back

it works

you will be amazed when it clicks as to how little fuzz is really used

also it looks like you are using natural dubbing, which is great, but maybe give superfine brand dubbing a try, it works very nicely in small amounts

and yeah the hackle is a bit big, forget the gauge and just use the distance from the hook point to the shank

good luck, it looks liek your off to a great start, next step, parachutes :D

Pauly

I'd suggest trying grizzly hen hackle ( saddle or neck ) tips for the wings . They tend to make a more noticeable wing than rooster hackle tips ( which is what the wings picture appear to be , to me ) . I'd ech what other have said about tapering the body and a fuller tail also.......Frank

Chase Good start for your first Adams. The tail has an ample enough of fearthers but I might suggest using the "spade" hackle, which is located on the sides of a rooster neck. These are much stiffer and will support the rear of the fly better than the feather your choosing. Some of the better grade rooster capes don't contain these spade feathers and in this case Whiting came out with Coq de Leon tailing packs which are fabulous for tails. Yes your body could use some twicking. Start exactly over the barb and have a taper. Your hackle comes too far back on the fly. FWALSH is right on about using hen neck for the wings. They make a great profile. Just crank out 2/3 dozen and they will begin to take shape and in no time you'll be tying like a pro. Heres an example of a Adams using spade hackle for tail and hen hackle for wings. We tied this particular fly in the virtual classroom, which is a great place to pickup on tips and techniques

Bruce

post-4571-1203037868_thumb.jpg