Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tompa

Joar Sunray

:D Hi all

A simple fly this time. Really just a fancy version of the Sunray Shadow. However effective I think the original version of Sunray Shadow is a lame impression of a salmon fly. That's why I came up with this more dressed one some years ago.

Sunray Shadow has a special place in my heart. My first salmon ever was on a Sunray Shadow. My first two Atlantic salmons was caught in river Orkla on the same Sunray Shadow. I still have it in a box together with my first salmon flies. I can't believe how many years that has passed since I tied them.

Anyways, here's my version of the Sunray Shadow. It's named after my son Joar wich comes from Old Norse and means Charger on horse.

tag: Silver wire

tail: White Flurofibre

rear body: Saltwater flash, black saddle ribbed with Lagartun silver miniflatbraid

rear wing: Pearl Crystal Mirrorflash and white arctic fox (this wing supports the longer main wing)

front body: Black Lite Brite, black saddle ribbed with Saltwater Flash.

main wing: Peacock Crystal Mirrorflash, grey silver fox, black temple dog or good quality Sheeps Fleece, Purple ice Angel hair and 4 strands of peacock herl.

front hackle: 2 black ringneck pheasant.

front wing: Black body hair from fox or templedog, 1/3 of the length of the main wing. Tied in wide for silhoutte.

sides: JC

head: black thread or silver tungsten- or turboconehead.

This fly is about 12 cm in total wing length. Not the biggest and not the smallest.

:D Good luck tying it. It's a great catcher at evening/night or at daytime if you fish in Norways big rivers in June.

//Thomas

post-1781-1203009961_thumb.jpg

WOW :headbang:

I would say that this was an advanced version of Sun Ray... How are these Turbo Cones working? Have you ever tried them? Bought some but haven't start tying the tubes for next season... Looks interesting...

:P

Well a tad more advanced than the original maybe :D Seriously it doesn't have to be that complicated but i think this is more "fishy" than a regular Sunray. Also I like to present a fly that has taken some effort to the salmon. He is worth it!

Regarding the turbo coneheads I can only refer to statistics in our own tiny little club of salmon fishers. Last season was a poor season throughout it all but turboflies caught 2/3 seatrouts and 1/2 salmons.

The season before was much better but then I only had one turbofly. It was a Greenlander with a silver turbo conehead size M. The wing was about 5-6 cm and it caught 3/12 salmons in 16 days of fishing.

From that I can say that they work. But do they work wonders, hmnmmm :dunno:

I think that the key is still size and how you present the fly. But sure i certain angles the turbocone give the fly almost an wobbler effect and that's a bonus.

In general you should use one size bigger turbo cone than you would have with regular brass or tungsten cones.

I.e if a tube requires a size S tungsten cone use a M size Turbo conehead.

Skitt fiske :headbang: :headbang:

//Thomas

:D Hi all

A simple fly this time. Really just a fancy version of the Sunray Shadow. However effective I think the original version of Sunray Shadow is a lame impression of a salmon fly. That's why I came up with this more dressed one some years ago.

Sunray Shadow has a special place in my heart. My first salmon ever was on a Sunray Shadow. My first two Atlantic salmons was caught in river Orkla on the same Sunray Shadow. I still have it in a box together with my first salmon flies. I can't believe how many years that has passed since I tied them.

Anyways, here's my version of the Sunray Shadow. It's named after my son Joar wich comes from Old Norse and means Charger on horse.

tag: Silver wire

tail: White Flurofibre

rear body: Saltwater flash, black saddle ribbed with Lagartun silver miniflatbraid

rear wing: Pearl Crystal Mirrorflash and white arctic fox (this wing supports the longer main wing)

front body: Black Lite Brite, black saddle ribbed with Saltwater Flash.

main wing: Peacock Crystal Mirrorflash, grey silver fox, black temple dog or good quality Sheeps Fleece, Purple ice Angel hair and 4 strands of peacock herl.

front hackle: 2 black ringneck pheasant.

front wing: Black body hair from fox or templedog, 1/3 of the length of the main wing. Tied in wide for silhoutte.

sides: JC

head: black thread or silver tungsten- or turboconehead.

This fly is about 12 cm in total wing length. Not the biggest and not the smallest.

:D Good luck tying it. It's a great catcher at evening/night or at daytime if you fish in Norways big rivers in June.

//Thomas

Hi Thomas

That is a beautifull fly with a fantastic teardrop tapered wing. :thumbsup:

That black & white constallation in the pattern is a real seatrout killer (I did not know you could get White flouru fibre, now I simply have to buy some!).

regards

Jens

To Palli concerning the turbodisc

My theori is that it helps pushing the water and gives some turbolens that makes the wing move even better. You still need a well tapered wing to get the most out of it.

Ps take a look at my posting from 11th September 2007

Outstanding tube, Tompa! I just added a copy of the photo to may "Wannado" list. As in I want to do a copy of this tube fly. Thanks for the inspiration.