Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Frogfish

Total Lunar Eclipse

The first shot is overexposed an why there is no detail. Its like shooting a lit lightbulb. The second shot is better and detail is present, its a bit unerexposed but not too much.

Are they heavy crops and are you on a tripod?

If heavily cropped reduce your crop a bit. The moon may not be as large but youll preserve the detail better and if your handhold try a bit more shutter speed with higher iso to compensate.

Wulff thanks for the response matey. I am still learning this DSLR thing and all pointers move me on. Its hand held though I am looking at a tripod at the moment. The crop is fairly heavy as I have only (?!?) got a 300mm lens. I will have another play tonight if there is no cloud. Whic is what we got at the time of the eclipse last night and I didnt get any shots at all. :(

Thanks for your help sir

Keith

Your welcome Keith.

Your 2nd shot is more than workable. Just reduce how much you've cropped it a bit and if you can lighten it up just a bit. Its just a wee bit underexposed. Preferably do it with curves or levels but if thats greek to you a brightness/contrast slider avialable in most editing software.

if you want providing I get my software installed in time tonight I'll have a go at it to show you. Its almost there and with a bit of PP can be made into a very acceptable image.

PP and image taking are equal parts of the end product these days

Nice pictures Andrew! Especially the last one!

Looking forward to seeing yours, John!

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the eclipse. Next one is December of 2010.

Mokai, Awesome man! I was soooo bummed out last night with the cloud cover here in Utah. I had everything ready and was really disapointed.

Your welcome Keith.

Your 2nd shot is more than workable. Just reduce how much you've cropped it a bit and if you can lighten it up just a bit. Its just a wee bit underexposed. Preferably do it with curves or levels but if thats greek to you a brightness/contrast slider avialable in most editing software.

if you want providing I get my software installed in time tonight I'll have a go at it to show you. Its almost there and with a bit of PP can be made into a very acceptable image.

PP and image taking are equal parts of the end product these days

Thank you sir. Glad to hear its almost there :D I dont have a brillant edit suite but will have a play with the one (Picassa) that i do have. I look forward to seeing what you can do with that pic Wulff.

Some of you guys got some great shots. Darn that cloud! :angry:

Keith heres your image touched up a bit. I didn't do alot, in fact it took about 2 minutes but this should give you a good idea. Not only of what your aiming for with your photo, but also what you can accomplish processin them. The adjustments I made were fairly basic and were limited by the small size of the file (only so many pixels).

IPB Image

Few of my shots.

Before the eclipse started I wanted to experiment with stacked TCs. The extra glass and manual focusing took its toll on the image quality but its encouraging for potential future use.

Full moon at roughly 1,000 to 1,100mm (400mmx1.3x1.4x1.4)and cropped

IPB Image

Eclipse shots

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

whole lot of frozen toes and fingers for that :)

Awesome shots guys!! Thanks for sharing. I wish I could have gotten some. Guees I have a two year wait.

AWESOME PHOTOS!!! I wanted to get out last night with my camera, but the cold kept me inside. I watched the eclipse through the back window. The red coloration of the moon is so stunning.

Great job with the photos, guys.

Very nice pictures. I took a ton of pictures, in quite a few phases here are my two photos. Any comments are welcome. I know the first one is a bit dark, other than that I think they are OK.

Ashby

IPB Image

IPB Image

Great photos guys. I noticed some objects around the moon that night that looked like they might have been planets, but I couldn't get the binoculars steady enough to get a good look at them. (Sandfly has them in his pictures.) I wonder if anyone knows what they might be.

Wonderful stuff Wulff. At least I know what can be achieved now. Love your shots. We ahd cloud and could not see the eclipse.

Thanks

KP