Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
viper75

Portable bench size

Although the ultimate design will be up to you and your desires, I'll suggest a few things I've thought about. My first tying desk was a TV tray. It worked great for years. It was "portable" from room to room and I drilled holes for tools and put in dowel rods for threads. I still use that from time to time if I'm tying in the TV room.

Things I've considered if I wanted to build one without legs. Make sure the size fits the spot you are likely to tie at. For example, if you are likely to sit in the big chair in the TV room make sure it's either big enough to sit on the arm rests or small enough not to, depending on what will work best for you. test run the size with a scrap piece of wood. also, I'd recommend trying to make your tool rack removable if you have a non-portable bench that you usually tie at. that way, you can pick up all your tools at once instead of taking out the ones you need.

Good luck, and show pictures when you are done!

I am looking to make something i can use when i go to my brothers to tie.I also want to be able to tie using the back tailgate area of my station wagon and also in the kithen if needed.I think i have a plan that will work but looking for ideas that i may not have thought of.Thanks oatka for replying i like the idea of the removable tool tray.

Felt feet, to protect the kitchen table. with the removable tool tray, i was thinking if i make one, i'd have magnets on the tool tray and the desk, and then it would stay put, but be removable.