these are some pics from a shoot of a good friend over xmas break

nikon d200

nikor 50mm f1.4

iso 100

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I hate being on either side of critiques, but, but if it were my picture, I'd probably crop #1 a bit on the right hand side and at the bottom. Looks like a couple of blown highlights on the cheekbone and nose - a little makeup would help prevent that. Also, the light seems a little harsh for portraits. #3 - if you used a flash, you could illuminate the subject and foreground and bring down the exposure on the background a bit. Really nice eye and an appealing subject - any time I've ever asked a girl who looks like that to pose, I've had to duck a few flying objects and spend the rest of the day eluding the vice squad. I like your style. Save your money and go to Paris for a year.

well that is what i needed, to hear. thanks, i will keep those in mind,

as far as paris... i will have to wait a bit, but i love fashion photography, its what i want to do

but thanks again for your honesty

The 2nd photograph her arms should be about the same angle as they are in the 3rd photograph. When photographing females you want more flow than you want angles. When she holds her arms up high like that the angles are more masculin then femanine (sure I spelled at least one of those wrong). I was taught in portraiture class that the arm flow is especially important in wedding photos where the bride is holding the flowers. At one wedding seminar the photographer said she should hold the flowers like she was trying to hide that certain area down below. He was a bit more crude about it though. Anyway the point was though to have the arms flow more than create angles.

The background around her head is kind of busy, but not much you can do with backgrounds sometimes.

Overall a nice set of photos. Just one more quick comment as I look again. In the first photo you should have gotten rid of the three twigs in the bottom of the shot that cut into her dress. Not a big thing really, but something as a fashion photographer you would want to always be aware of.