Fly Tying

flat wing swap

I am totaly addicted to these flies and how such a simple tying technique can change the way that a fly moves. So I am hoping that there are a few more tyers out there that like this style too. All of the board rules apply, first 12 with Im in and we will make the due date April 15.

1. Bassturd "RLS supervisor" DONE

2. Dnthmn tbd address sent/ EXCUSED

3.Linesides Tbd(Baitfish) address sent/ Received

4. Grunt tbd address sent /RECEIVED

5. Moushka rhody flatwing address sent/ RECEIVED

6. RDL tbd address sent/ Received

7. Fred H. tbd Address sent/ RECEIVED

8. ronc23 tbd address sent/ Received

9. geozip yellow/chartruce RECEIVED

10. wayneb yellow/red/yellow address sent/ RECEIVED

11.billb tbd Received

12 Student4evr Received

Ok guys this swap is full

When the flies are complete pm me and i will get my address to you

have fun

I'll bite, if you'll have me. Being a newb I will have to do some research though. If anyone want to point me in the right direction or give me some info on the style I would appreciate it.

http://www.flyfishsaltwaters.com/rhody_flat_wing.htm

this is a good jumping off point to check out

If you do a google search of ken abrams , The rhody flat wing , or flat wing flies , It will give you many other sites to look at and get some ideas. also search this site for flat wing flies and you should see some here too.

The flat wing is a style of tying that puts the hackle feathers on top of the hook shank, instead of on the side as is traditional in flies like a deciever. tying the hackle on top gives the fly different movement more side to side movement as the water flows over the feather. Flatwing tying can be adapted to many different styles and that is the beauty of tying , to take several different styles and make them your own.

welcome dnthmn and linesides

Line sides I have a few flies for you from the bend back swap you were in the process of moving anddidnt want them sent soif you pm me your address I will send them to you

I'm in with a some sort of flat wing. Soon as I get the pattern down I'll post what I'm going to ty.

Bassturd,

From what I've read this pattern appears to primarily be for saltwater fishing. I am located right in the middle of three of the great lakes and am nowhere near any saltwater.

That being said I have an idea in mind for a freshwater pattern in this style of fly and am willing to try it out to see what I end up with. My concern is that I will be sending out freshwater flies to a bunch of anglers who will not be able to use them because they fish saltwater.

If everyone does not mind getting a fly that will be intended to target pike or small/large mouth bass I'll give it a go. Or on the flip side if there is adequate interest from saltwater anglers to fill the swap and more I will give up my place to one of them

Let me know what your thoughts are.

Regards,

Dan

I would be interested in tying something as well. I would have the same concerns being that I'm surrounded by the greatlakes :)

Here is another link: http://www.flyfisherman.com/ftb/kaflatwings/index.html

I would imagine that a pike or bass would hit on one of those flies!