Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sulfernut

Fly Tyer's Dungeon

I have never had a problem with the guy. I orderd the christmas box and it took a while to get it. I don't know what people expect, the stuff is cheep and works well. He does all the work himself. You just need to know how to talk to people. If you send a rude email demanding the stuff the first time, ofcoarse no one will want to deal with you. If you are polite and still get across your concerns with your order, you are more than likely going to get a response. I do admit though that he needs to work on his customer service. I thought it would be a good idea to state on the website how long it takes to expect an order. He might get fewer email from anxous custmers want to know where their items are. Or maybe even a email response when the items ship.

Randy

Randy

I agree that customers getting hostile serves no purpose.

But this guy clearly needs to advise customers of the typical lead time for delivering orders. His delivery time is very long and is completely out of whack with other mail order and internet sellers of tying supplies (even other small shops).

I think the guy is honest (I got lucky and my Christmas box came in a few weeks). But by not advising customers that it may take a long time until delivery, he makes it look like bait and switch.

I still say this guy is sitting on a gold mine,with no way to get it out of the ground!! There is no doubt as to the quality of his products...especially for the cost!! I have e-mailed him at least twice,simply to ask when the items marked "coming soon" on the website might be "coming"...no answer...I signed up for the e-mailed newsletter over a month ago....no newsletter !! The only conclusion I can come to,is that he's trying to do everything himself. Because of things like this forum,his products are catching on,and he's finding it impossible to keep up with the demand. Also,he is reluctant to hire help,because to do so would necessitate paying said help,which in turn would necessitate raising his prices! Welcome to the world of retail sales!! I really don't expect to see this guy around much longer...one of the requirements of a sucessful business (most particularly an internet-based business) is good, if not excellent customer service...he cannot or will not provide this. It's a shame!! His "Skeeter Fuzz" is without a doubt the best dry fly bubbing I have ever used! He keeps promising "more colors on the way" but I'm not holding my breath! I'll just order some of whatever he's got ,and hope it comes before the Dungeon collapses under it's own weight!

Sulfernut

I've dealt with him for a few years because what he sells is decent stuff but the last few months I haven't heard a thing, no replies to emails.

But I will not give up trying to get the stuff I want, even if I have to ask someone else to get it for me.

Well, I for one don't buy the fact that he is "too busy" to even answer emails. I have a full time job, wife, 7 year old son, 5 website that I own/operate and a 96 page magazine that I design,pack & ship myself, etc. I doubt that I have received many emails that take over 24 hours for me to respond.

He lists news on the homepage of his website with news as recently as 3/8 indicating that USPS has lost over 25 packages recently(an easy excuse). He could very easily say "I'm overwhelmed by orders right now, please do not expect your order for 12 weeks(or whatever). Being cheap does not automatically give you the right or privlidge to keep customers in the dark about when they are going to receive what they paid you for.

I don't know what people expect, the stuff is cheep and works well. He does all the work himself.

I'll tell you what I expect.....When I lay down a $100 bill on his lap, I expect a little communication if he can't fill it. I expect total honesty with me if he can't fill it. I don't expect stories about the USPS losing 25 packages, I don't expect stories about his Aunt Lizzy having a coronary, and I don't expect stories about being to busy with his full time job. I don't expect lies and conflicting excuses over the course of 12-16 weeks, and I expect that if he can take the time to deduct $100 from a PayPal account, then he could scrounge up a few minutes to send out an email letting the customer know he is backlogged. Most of the fly tyers that I know are pretty laid back and patient individuals that could easily understand a problem with backlogging.

I guess the lies and BS wouldn't be so bad if he realized that there ARE A FEW OF US that are connected to people that deal with him commercially and eventually find out he's full of crap. :headbang:

I guess I was one of the lucky ones- I got my Christmas box a couple weeks after I ordered it. I thought it was an unbelievable amount of stuff for $25, even though I most likely won't use a lot of it unless I get the chance to go back to Alaska for salmon or whatever. I'd like to order more of the small rubber-leg stuff in different colors, but with these reports, I think I'll hold off.

Pretty sure I wouldn't even bother to sign up for a free e-mail newsletter with this crowd, far less

give them any of my hard-earned cash ...

Quotes from their news page :-

"The FTD computer finally CRASHED & Died!"

"I tried to collect all my data, while watching the slow death happen, but I was not completely successful."

This in my opinion is double-dutch speak for 'Even though my business is wholly dependent on my

computer, I don't backup the data or have a redundant system standing by in the event of a glitch'.

My wife only dabbles as an eBay seller, but takes backup and records seriously - these guys make

her look like the Department of Defense !!!

Guys I have purchased hundreds of dollars worth of stuff from them. I LOVE THERE STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST DUBBING MADE!!! Lets end the bash fest! its the guys second job he does have a day job!

Guys I have purchased hundreds of dollars worth of stuff from them. I LOVE THERE STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST DUBBING MADE!!! Lets end the bash fest! its the guys second job he does have a day job!

Never ordered from them so I won't bash, but....

Matt, if I ordered 3 dozen MOAESLCL, or whatever it is you called your latest clicking creation, how long (seriously) would you expect me to be willling to wait for my order? What if it was just Spider Grubs or Helgies?

I think THAT's the point people are making. Day5 flies sell b/c (1) they ARE quality, and (2) you don't yank your clients around.

AND I know YOU have a "day job" when you decide to do it, and not fish instead. :hyst:

I plan for slow shipping but their stuff is still the best!

Never ordered from them so I won't bash, but....

Matt, if I ordered 3 dozen MOAESLCL, or whatever it is you called your latest clicking creation, how long (seriously) would you expect me to be willling to wait for my order? What if it was just Spider Grubs or Helgies?

I think THAT's the point people are making. Day5 flies sell b/c (1) they ARE quality, and (2) you don't yank your clients around.

AND I know YOU have a "day job" when you decide to do it, and not fish instead. :hyst:

And If I got 10+ orders a day you could plan on waiting for flies from me. IM just saying there shipping is slow but their quality and price is unbeatable