Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
atlanticsalmonflyguy

Sir Peter Graf

Bob fly,

I don't think to many places carry merganzer flank. Its a beautiful feather, but the duck is a fish eater and not commonly hunted. The only time I ever was able to get any was from duck hunters who shot them by mistake. I too would like to get more.

bobfly,

I can tell you a lake in Ontario where they "hang-out". Im not sure if it is legal to hunt them though. Beautiful bird! they have a sweet mo-hawk style head with a beak similar to a loon.

Phil

bobfly,

I can tell you a lake in Ontario where they "hang-out". Im not sure if it is legal to hunt them though. Beautiful bird! they have a sweet mo-hawk style head with a beak similar to a loon.

Phil

Phil, I have seen pics of them, they are a bit unusual in the duck world. Am I right in thinking that they are fisheaters or something similar

Bob

Ya man!

As far as I can tell they live totally on the water, and close to shore. So I assume they eat tons of little fish. In the area I was, the lake was booming with small mouth bass and rock bass. The mom tends to look under the water to watch out for bass, I assume the small mouth would eat the new born mergansers.

Beautiful Birds,

They look similar to a loon. In my fairly ignorant bird opinion.

Phil

It's a good question as to why the Merganser is not used more for it's feathers. Their meat, like the fish eating Loon is useless. In my neck of the woods they are a nuisance, and I am always inclined to break out a Salt Water Clouser when they cruise my trout runs (hoping to clunk one fatally on the head). They are an aggressive bird that tends to cruise waterways in gangs. Lovely tie !!!

dg