Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chase Creek

Handling beads

I tie a lot of bead head flies, and was always frustrated trying to hold the bead in my fingers to put it on the hook. I've noticed a couple of pliers made just for beads. These have a slight depression in each jaw that holds the bead. Good idea BUT...... they cost money, and I'm thrifty (cheap).

Use something you probably already have - those British hackle pliers. They hold the bead in a death grip, and you can even switch hands or lay them down on the bench and not have your bead zing off into the carpet.

They are well worth the price. For the first time in a long time Im not on my knees looking for beads rolling around the floor. They really don't cost all that much, I think I paid $12.00 or so for mine. Go ahead take the plunge and get a pair. :yahoo:

I moisten my fingertip and press it firmly onto the bead sitting on the top of my tying desk. The moisture has just enough "stick" to pick up beads and get them threaded onto a hook. No tools.

I hold the hook I'm trying to get the bead on in a plastic spring loaded hook and hackle tool right down on the surface of my bench. I hold the bead in bead tweezers and the process goes without lost beads down to size 20. I also have a short (1/4) inch fence tacked to the front edge of my tieing bench to keep the beads from rolling off. I used to lose beads when I would use the vise to hold the hook while mounting the beads. The little hook and hackle tool is great. Stockard has them.

This probably isn't "correct" but what I do is take my dubbing needle and put the bead on it. Then I slide the bead on to the hook using the dubbing needle. Works well for me with the little tiny beads. If the hook is really small, I put it in the vise backwards while I put the bead on and then turn it around. Sherri B

This is one of those things that everyone has a little trick for. Cool to hear what others do to solve those small annoying problems. Whatever works for you.

Grunt - like the idea of a "fence" to keep stuff from rolling off the desk. Gonna use my extensive woodworking skills :hyst: and make one.