Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sherrib

Foam question

Today I tried to tie with some foam. I was trying to tie a foam beetle, with black foam and peacock herl. The problem I had was after I tied in the foam it keeps slipping around the hook. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Sherri B

sherri I wanna say you are doing nothing wrong. it happens to me also. I just keep adjusting the foam and once you tie the bug just adjust to center and cement the head. fish it like always and after a few fish check it its straight. just adjust and its all good. I even bought foams that did the same. you can add a thread base on the hook too but it still slips a lil to me??? another tip is to hold the foam when you wrap. it worx for me also

Are you laying down a base of thread first? Gives the foam a little more friction than the bare hook shank.

I also put a spot of super glue on the bottom of the hook shank, but not very much.

Foam will cut with too much tension on the thread. Use 3/0 thread, or flat waxed mono thread or single strand floss. These threads are thick enough that you can get more pressure without cutting through the foam. lay a thread base, and taper the end of the foam start tying the foam in about halfway back on the hook. just enough pressure to compress the foam as you wrap tightly back to the shank to the barb. Leave the foam hanging back and tie in and wrap the peacock herl. Bring the foam over the top, and tie down with three or four firm wraps. Now lift up on the end of the foam and clip off while pulling on the foam. This will leave a smaller head. Whip finish just under the head. If you want rubber legs, tie them in where you tie the foam back in at the head.

Tie in a thread base. Then put the materials on. I take a little super glue on a bobbin needle and put it on the thread wraps just before the foam goes down on it. Then wrap the thread.

Crappie

Tie in a thread base. Then put the materials on. I take a little super glue on a bobbin needle and put it on the thread wraps just before the foam goes down on it. Then wrap the thread.

Crappie

What he said.

This may work, or it may be stupid as I am new to fly tying. If you tie in a piece of mono down both sides of the hook when you do thread wraps, might this also help in making a flater hook shape and platform for the foam to ride on before you use super or zap-a-gap glue? With or without glue, I envision it to help keep the foam from spinning on the hook as freely.