Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishaholic69

byrds gillbuster in white/pearl

took byrds gillbuster recipe click for recipeand used white zonker and pearl/white sparkle chenille for a body and white and black lead dumbell eyes. I wish I could get a picture of the sparke the chenille gives off but no matter how I take the pic I can't get it to show.post-12314-1203997940_thumb.jpg

Nice fly Fishaholic. I like the way that you fattened up the body. I am going to tie me a couple and then head to my moms pond :D If I catch all of her bluegills can I blame it on you?

Take care,

go for it. that was my idea in the 1st place to catch everything with it! I will release it of course :D now wheres that pond at that your talking about??? lol jk. actually this year will be my 1st pond fishing experience since I found a couple I can fish in. I have always fished river. one river at that. I am hoping to hit up a few more rivers and even some creeks this year! its on!!! this fly looks like it will get a few bites for sure! the chenille is called white/pearl speckeled chenille. it have some pearl flashabou mixed in with the regular white. got it from jstockard! I have heard to add the zonker tail and then some chenille or flash for body then use dumbell eyes but still make it like a clouser with white and olive bucktail. that sound like it could work also?

Fishaholic, it sounds like you have it all figured out. I dont fish too many ponds, but since its my moms and theres some decent bluegills and smallmouths, I just have to make a few casts now and then :D . I'm mostly a trout guy, but a good size bluegill on is a good fight.

Take Care,

AFTERTHOUGHT... Fishaholic, the pond is in Fancy Gap, Va. about a mile from the Blue Ridge Parkway :D If you ever slip south out of Ohio, my e-mail address is in my profile. Theres some killer trout streams around here too, either the stocked and crowded ones or my little secret ones where its just you and the native brookies. I plan on attacking the New River also, as soon as I become a better bass/panfish fisherman.

Take Care,

What would you think about adding a palmered hackle to the body? Just a thought. ::shrug::

I plan on attacking the New River also, as soon as I become a better bass/panfish fisherman.

Tony, I did quite a bit of fly fishing on the New this past year and since I don't have a boat, I have to wade every where. If you're looking for a few spots to hit, let me know. I've fished the New mostly between Blacksburg and the Claytor Dam, however I'm looking to try north of Blacksburg this year. I hear there's great wading at Eggleston and Pembroke.

There is NOTHING like fighting a 2 to 4 lb smallie on a fly rod. I love the scenery when fishing for trout...I love the fight when I'm fishing for smallies. :)