Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Nanook1134

White Wing Akroyd

Thanks you all for the kind words.

Jens, I live in New York State and the regulations for Salmon and Steelhead limit us to a max. 1/2 inch gap on the hook and the 1.5 is right there. Daiichi is part of the Angler's Sport Group and the address is in NY, so I am guessing that's why they only go up to a 1.5 in hook size, I could be wrong, I love that hook and wish they made it smaller cause I've been cutting off the eyes and it's hard to grind down the hook shanks to a fine point to make them blind eye so the head area is not so bulky and a little more length would be beautiful, I do what I can. I've been tying them on sizes 7 and 3 for fishing.

Hi Joe

Ok

Well I do not fish with gut eyed flies so I thought that it was for display. Do you fish these gut eyed flies?

Anyway the old Dee Spring patterns like Akroyd was tied on big hooks up to 10/0. nicknamed "Meathooks" and when the tiers could not get long enough wing materiel they just put on two pairs of wing see the pictures.

post-3635-1204300567_thumb.jpgpost-3635-1204300589_thumb.jpg

The ones I fish goes up to 1/0 and are tied on Partridge Barleet hooks (CS10) Like the one on the pic taken right out of my box.

post-3635-1204300607_thumb.jpg

Regards

Jens

10/0 :bugeyes: , wow!!!!! I've caught steelhead that big lol. The great lakes fish aren't, on average, as big as their ocean and sea run cousins, we catch in-land trout as big as some of the steelhead, well as big as the steelhead I catch :hyst: . Those are some awesome flies. I just got bit by the tradition bug, I've swung a gut eye a few times but this is not the best time of year for that, right now where I am it's 14 degrees f. I like the challenge of tying blind eye, i.e. trying to keep the head small. I might keep that one in the pic for reference ( that's the 2nd one I've ever tied) but all the others are water bound, anything bigger is of show, unless I move. Someday I'll get to a few of the famed rivers for salmon but for now I have to stick to the famed Salmon River in Pulaski,NY and the Mighty Niagara River :P

Joe

Nanook that is a sick AKR. and in hand you the MAN :headbang: :headbang: you cut of Mr. Grants head

Rocky

PS what size of blind eye hooks are you looking for

nothin to be sorry about! they only make the one BE AJ the standard return wire eye ones go up to 3/0. as you said before the 1.5 is the last legal one here in NY. for BE presentation hooks the Gaelic Supreme's are really nice and i think they do a 5/0 long dee type hook.

that last smaller one looks real good too. was that hook originally the 2271 daiichi?

that last smaller one looks real good too. was that hook originally the 2271 daiichi?
bingo, straight from the guillotine :shifty: