Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

tying ice fishing flies?

i was wondering if anyone ever tied flies that they took ice fishing for panfish and had luck on them?...i am going ice fishing for the first time sunday and i wanted to tie some up to try out on the bream and crappie...can anyone help me out :dunno:

I have been planning to get out ice fishing now for the last couple of years but never have. There was one pattern that I wanted to try, a booby. I think the vibrating action of the fly would work great. You could tie the booby to look like any nymph, damsel/dragon nymphs or in attractor colours.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/pattern3143.html

sniksoh: I haven't been ice fishing in MANY MANY years,but as I recall,guys in my area used to tie small

(#10-#16) flies,fairly heavily weighted (beadhead,or dumbell eyes) with a flashy body (tinsel or sparkle chenille) and a brightly colored soft hackle,for panfish.

Sulfernut

I ice fish all the time, especially now that I live in Mich. U.P. I tie up a few different things for ice fishing. There is a recipe for a waxworm on here that I've done well with during the dog days of winter. Great bait for when the fish are picky. I also buy small ice fishing jigs and add marabou, crystal flash, or anything else I can think of. Here's a link from another board with a few idea's. I would guess that flashy nymph patterns would work well for most ice fishing.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=222039

Undertow

well i ended up being able to go ice fishing, didnt get to use my flies i tied though, the group i was with were just using live waxies, ended up catching a bunch of gills and they were really tasty!!!

post-4850-1204552710_thumb.jpg post-4850-1204552742_thumb.jpg

yeah i know its dumb but i wasnt using my own rod and they had everything all geared up so i didnt feel comfortable changing everthing. :rolleyes:

yeah i know its dumb but i wasnt using my own rod and they had everything all geared up so i didnt feel comfortable changing everthing. :rolleyes:

These work good for bluegill and crappie. Never fished them through the ice, though.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image