Fly Tying
sherrib

Horse Hair

Old Hat,your not goung to get any stallion hair from me.When he covers a mare he's on his own . He follows me around enough as it is.

IPB Image

See the lovely whiskers on the fly. Well that is dyed horse tail. It is much more useful than wild boar as it can be white and dyed easily for making the pot bellied pig salmon flies.

Jason.

P.S. Hows it over there in America because Ireland has had a beautiful fox hunting season which closes up in 2 weeks and then starts the salmon and trout fishing (lucky me!!!! :headbang: :yahoo: )

That is a beautiful fly! Thanks for sharing. Sherri B. So did you fox hunt?

Fred H., Your not kidding. Pretty funny how they made a fuss over it.

Here is a Charles Cotton winged fly on a hook I made with a twisted horse hair leader. Someday I'll fish it.

post-13329-1204757568_thumb.jpg

Yes Sherri I do fox hunt. This year has been good for the foxes because they were extra cunning and he honds were extera lazy this yearbut I has been all good. Just like a days fishing there is never a bad days hunting just some are better than others.

The hunting season finishes on the 15 of march and the fishing season starts on the 10th :yahoo:

Happy tying,

Jason.

Hello SherriB, I have came across a few old patterns using horse hair to wrap the bodies on dry flies, but I havent had the chance to try any yet. There is horses everywhere around me, but i figured that I would get shot at if I got caught with a pair of scissors in the pastures around here :D I would love to try some, but I am a computer idiot and don't really know how to pm anyone. I don't expect nothing for free, so if we get together on this, maybe I could trade something to you. I have a little too much woodchuck, deer, and bobcat.

Take Care,

Got it in the mail today! Thanks a bunch, I will try and get your horse hair in the mail in the am, we are due for snow here so if it gets too nasty probably won't groom the horses today, it would be too wet to deal with. But will get it out ASAP Sherri

When someone has to put their horse down i get the mane and tail from my buddy Bob the backhoe owner. I prefer the tail hair.

My other Buddy is a Farrier which helps :lol:

Brent

IPB Image

Here i used horse tail hair for the leggs on this nymph.

For those of you that asked, the horses were in the barn so they were dry, (it is snowing). I was going to wait until we groomed but I did rob a little from the girls old pony and my old mare. Both are retired and are not ridden right now. I just clipped from the back side of the tail and it isn't noticeable that I did it. I thought this way the lengths would be more even. I also clipped a little mane and body fur. It is in the mail to you. I did not wash or bleach it as someone had said they wanted to try some that hadn't been chemically altered. Let me know how it works out and send me a pattern or two. :) Sherri B.