Fly Tying
siestafred

Unusual Redfish

We almost didn't go out today because the wind was up to about 15mph. That's more or less our limit unless we're putting in somewhere that we can hide and still get action. What a mistake that would have been !

We right away drifted the edge of a flat that was mostly out of water but with the incoming tide would flood over in an hour or two. We know the Reds hold in the 4-5' deep channel just beside the flat and wait for it to flood, so we drifted as best we could along that edge and within 2 hours I got 5 Reds, three of them about 25" and 6-7 lbs, the other two about 18". All 5 took a Clouser Minnow.

Now this one had such beautiful spots I had to post the pic to show it off. I've never seen coloring like this before personally, so it was quite the thrill.

Fred :P

IPB Image

We used to catch lots like that in SC. Used to keep track of the one with the most spots. I believe the record was fifty something. Yours seems to be in the thirties, if the opposite side is similar. I haven't seen them in quite awhile now, wonder why?

Steve

To bad you were not in a tournament. The extra spots would make a nice score!. Ive caught one like that oddly enough it only had spots like that on one side and no spot on the other. Nice fish!!!

To bad you were not in a tournament. The extra spots would make a nice score!. Ive caught one like that oddly enough it only had spots like that on one side and no spot on the other. Nice fish!!!

I think that might have been a flounder Day 5. :hyst:

Me and my buddies play a little game in the tidal creeks of virginia during the spring run. We have three fishing categories most spots on the tail, most fish, and biggest fish.

Well, sounds like you "low country" guys have more interesting looks on your reds than we have down here in the Sarasota area ! Good stuff.

This red had the same pattern on the other side too BTW, so he'd be in the high 30's for sure.

As an aside, does anyone know how to tell the difference between the males and the females ?

As an aside, does anyone know how to tell the difference between the males and the females ?

Just look under their tails! :hyst:

Seriously, I've never been aware of a way to tell on the outside. But I have been told that a very high percentage of the larger spot tails are female. Even though they're called "bull reds," they're mostly ladies!

Do Reds put up a good fight?

That's for sure Thom. See those big shoulders ? They get that way from grubbing the bottom and oyster beds for food, so they shake you like crazy. When you get a red on, you know it !!