Fly Tying
miked

Yet another Vice question

Hey all. i know that there are dozens of vice posts out there and hat to add another one but here it is. I currently own a Renzetti Traveller for about 5-6 years now and do like it. I have however always looked around at new vises. Well I had a buddy over who's just getting into tying, after tying one fly on a really cheap vise I had while I was tying on my traveler the kind selfless buddy I am I decided to let him use my traveler. Well that was it!! i'm surprised my vice is still here with me and not gone home with him! lol!! So I'm gonna give him a good deal on my traveler and give myself a great excuse for a new vice.

I'm pretty much decided on a Dyna King just not sure which one. Ultimately price will likely make my decision. But with the money from the sale of the renzetti it gives me a little play.

So the question is what model of Dyna king do ya all recomend??? I'm thinking the trekker but not decided yet. What kind of pros can I get from going with the Cuda instead????

Thanks for any help / recomedations you can give.

Mike

Mike,

I own a Trekker - obvious advantage is it cheaper than the Barracuda, as you have noticed.

But, the 'business ends' are the same - that is the jaws and cam assemblies, so you

get that champion hook holding power on both. The rest is Trekker/aluminum versus

Barracuda/stainless - the Trekker is light, the Barracuda looks much nicer.

I'm not a hard-core rotary tyer - I use the rotary function for viewing the fly all around and

for the odd bugger body here and there. If truth be told, if I WERE a hard-core rotary tyer,

I would be looking elsewhere for a better rotary vise.

I'm tying between size #8 and #26, so I stick with the midge jaws - you may want to factor

the cost of a set of those into your budget if you're going to be tying in or around that range.

Having said all of this, I really think you should bench test a Trekker first - the Renzetti Traveller

isn't all that shabby a vise - you may just miss it ....

What flytyingscotsman said, try the vice if at all possible b4 buying.

I have 3 different dyna-kings, the renz travler, the regal and a couple of thompsons. The dyna kings are my favorite for all around, especially for deer hair creations. . I have the Sidewinder, ron abby and the Barracuda. I ended up buying (and making one) the larger bases for all of my vises.

When you buy the vise you may get whomever you get it from to throw in the larger base for no xtra charge.

If at all possible: I would keep your traveler, buy the barracuda (better materials than the trekker) and get the saltwater base. You will not regret keeping the traveler. Just save for a little longer!

unfortunately the traveler was promised to a buddy. Otherwise I would not have been shopping. I ended up going with the Barracuda . WOW! what a vice. Taking some getting used to but that comes with anything new. Most of all for me is just getting used to a pedestal vice. My traveler was a C-clamp model. As per missing the Renzetti I dont think it'll happen, it was a good vice but there was a few things about it that really frustratted me.

Thanks for the replys

Mike

You're going to like the DK Mike. I have 3 of them .. the Kingfisher, Voyager 2 and the Trekker. Great vises and if anything does happen the DK customer service team is top notch. I'm having a bit of a tough time tying with a true rotary for the first time but I'll eventually get used to it. That's the only problem I can see with the Trekker for right now.

Mike

I love my Ron Abby Special and find that I don't like tying on any other vice. It is so smooth to turn and just makes tying a real pleasure.

Moushka