Fly Tying
fish

Waders, pants - am I the only one?

This happens to me more often than I am willing to report, happened this weekend. Am I the only one?

I have to take a leak so I leave the river, walk into the woods a bit, unsnap the wader shoulder straps... you have at least gone this far before I am sure. Anyway, I wrap back up again walk back to the river only to feel my pants slipping down on each step so that by the time I get to the river they are all down below my hips in my waders. Then of course I need to get all straightened out on the river bank and if anyone else is there they wonder what the hell I am doing with my arms inside my waders.

Maybe it is because it is still so early in the season and I have buck fever so don't think about the two layers.

Dan

laugh.gif tongue.gif I haven't had that experience yet! But...

...if you're wearing chest waders and you have to go #1, do NOT wait until you have to run to a bush. That's all I'm sayin'...

I think the idea of wearing "Sweats" under waders needs a little note attached. If you wear breathable waders, you want to wear something under them which provides a wicking effect. When I bought my first pair of Breathables, my dealer made a big point of telling me not to wear my blue jeans under these waders. He explained that the cotton fabric of blue jeans will hold twice its own weight in water. Most of my "sweats" are the type that absorb and hold water.

I mentioned the long legged bicycle pants I have. They are designed to wick the water away from my skin. The water can then evaporate from the outside. These actually work very well under the breathable waders. I also found a great deal on two different thicknesses of a wicking fabric long johns. These are great and provide some added warmth when wading in cold water.

More later,

Ken S.

By the time I get all my gear on they arn't coming off till I am done. It's just like diving, you can't take them off so you do what you got to do.

Ted

Another good style to wear under sweats or whatever pants your wearing under your waders is a high silk blend. It helps wick moisture away very nicely,i have a pair or high blend silk long john i got from cabelas for about $25 and they work great under sweats during the winter or cooler weather.

SD

Hey, fish. I've been there and done that. It's tough here on the coast especially in Spring and Fall. I generally go on the outer beach and walk anywhere from 2-6 miles down and back while fishing. I had the same experience as you did one day last fall. Someone told me to try fleece sweats and it works ! Once it warms up in another months; I can wear shorts and sandles and thad does negate most of the problems you mention.